Ira

Questions about Vivotek FD8362

According to the documentation...the FD8362 does not have built-in illuminators. It does have the removable IR cut filter, and can switch to B&W mode when it switches to "night mode". So for a driveway camera setup...

Let's say I pair the FD8362 with a good IR illuminator (thinking about the RAYMAX 50 Fusion) that is set up to always be on during dark hours. Distance from the camera to the end of the driveway is about 80' and I would like to cover as much of that distance as possible.

So here's the odd thing about my setup which makes it hard for me to know if this will work...I have driveway sensors that, when tripped at night, will turn on a few 200 watt halogen floods pointed at my driveway. None are pointed directly towards the camera location, and they don't put out very much light. But I wonder how this will affect the camera image at night. The scenario would be that the camera is in night mode (IR cut filter removed, B&W mode) and the RAYMAX IR illuminator is flooding the driveway area in IR light. A car drives up and causes the halogen lights to turn on. What will that do to the camera image? If it makes it useless, is there anything I can do short of not turning on the halogen floods?

Thanks,

Ira

I've got the Vivotek IP8362 and I have to admit, I wish I had never bought it. The image is blurry and I just can't get it focused in. I have an old webcam that produces a much better picture than this thing. The other thing I don't like about it is the limitations on in-camera video and snapshot capturing. You can't get the camera to record UNINTERRUPTED video or snapshots to the internal storage or NAS. There are large gaps between video files and the snapshot sequences. Unless someone can tell me how to solve this, I wouldn't recommend any of the Vivotek cameras. I like not having to have a NVR but instead have my cameras record directly to internal storage, the NAS and email. The Vivotek just doesn't cut it in this regard.