Syz

Shileding/Covering BNC connections in outside environment...

What do you guys use or recommend for covering the BNC connections when installing outdoors.

I am currently working on a project with 6 camers and 4 of the cameras have the BNC and power connections exposed to the outdoor environment. For now I have used electrical tape to tape up the connections but I have a feeling that (especially in Canadian Winter) it will not hold up and moisture or rain will get inside the connections.

I thought of using a product called "Liqua-Tape" or "Brush-On Tape" but have not been able to find it locallaly. I also thought about using Heat Shrink Tubing.

Thank in advance.

I think you are referring to outdoor cameras with their connections at the end of a lead. I always mont a weather resistant junction box to the side of the camera or hide it in the eaves if thats an option. I feed the cable into the JB and that acts as a secure place for the connections to be hidden and as a service access point too.

3yRrAr

Junction boxes are rated against the ingress of dust and water (in that order), you require IP65 or greater.

The first digit after the IP example IP65 rates the resistance to dust or solid materials,

and the second digit rates resistance to water.

For heavt winter where snow is likely to sit on the junction box I would look for IP68 tating and I have no doubt they will be readily available in Canada.

JujIHR

I've done taped-up connections that have lasted for years, even running across a flat roof where they end up laying in standing water. The trick is the use a good-quality tape and pull it really tight as you're wrapping it, so it forms tightly to the connectors. There are outdoor-rated, cold-weather-rated PVC tapes designed for just this sort of purpose.

That said, that's hardly ideal... obviously, junction boxes are best, but if you HAVE to have a connection exposed, I'd recommend two things:

172992_1.jpg006447.jpg

The first, you should be able to get at any auto-parts store - it's often sold as battery-terminal grease. It's non-conductive and repels water, so it keeps air and moisture out of the connection and prevents corrosion. Just squeeze a bit into the connectors before mating them.

The second, I regularly find at Princess Auto (if you're in Canada, you should know what that is ). Canadian Tire also lists it as "Marine Electrical Tape".

You Americans and Canadians can get ANYTHING. Here in the UK finding the right product id often a real struggle.

Even internet searches result in importing what I need. A case in point is my woodworking. Wood Router accessories are

plentiful in the US and here they are rather limited. You Americans and Canadians can get ANYTHING.

Check out a product named Coax-Seal. It is a strip of putty that you wrap around the connection and squeeze or roll between your hands to make a weathertight seal that is easily removed when needed. Not sure how well it stands up to extreme cold, though.

http://www.coaxseal.com/

WRAP................MOLD

173171_1.jpg173171_2.jpg

173171_3.jpg

173218_1.jpg

The Scotch 3/4 in. x 25 ft. Cold Weather Electrical Tape is ideal for use in outdoor or refrigerated spaces as it maintains adhesion in temperatures as low as 0 degrees Fahrenheit. This black tape resists damage caused by abrasion and weather and is effective in sealing out moisture.

-Insulates mechanical and electrical wiring

-Stretchable to conform to irregular shapes and contours

-Abrasion- and weather resistant construction

-Wraps smoothly and holds tightly in temperatures as low as 0 degrees F

-25 ft. L

-Available in 9 fade-resistant colors

I have white cables, so I use white tape. Makes for a cleaner look. Holding up really well. So well in fact, it's a drag to get back into the connection if swapping cameras. I even wrap the cable with it in spots that could be a rubbing/chaffing problem just to beef up the cable. Cheap and effective, found at your local home center. As soundy mentions- wrap tightly, do a clean spiral overlap with each turn. And I prefer spiral out to the cable itself on each end, not just the connection points. Good luck.

Edited by Guest

I suppose you could use self amalgamating tape at a pinch. I used to use it to seal N Type coaxial plugs at the antenna base of radio masts and repeater stations. After winding it on, the rubber amalgamates into a single piece, which stretches to fit and after curing is totally waterproof. Fort CCTV connections it is better practice to use weatherproof boxes as I explained they serve a double purpose. Using JBs in combination with the dielectric grease would be my bets guess in arctic conditions. There may even be some JBs designed for arctic conditions but this is somethin you will have to find out yourself as I haven't ever had that requirement.

On my first cctv job I used weather proof junction boxes. I bought them from my local home depot store. Here are the pics