Numb-nuts

Caught on Camera

Here's what happened to one when the brakes failed:

That must be what happened although it never mentioned anything about brakes.

Wind Turbines have brake systems to prevent them from going to fast. Apparently it's not that uncommon looking at you tube.

Wouldn't they just feather the props to a parallel-to-the-wind pitch on those turbine blades in a high wind? (eg. change the blade pitch so that they're no longer at an angle to the wind?)

Maybe they're not variable-pitch design?

I can't imagine they'd be that silly... perhaps there's an engineering reason why they couldn't make the blades variable-pitch?

They can do it with aircraft... why not turbines?

Part of the breaking system involves pitch controls to help slow it down, but it's not always fast enough. Mechanical brakes kick in when pitch controls don't slow it down enough.

There's some type of electrical braking too I think. Electrical braking is probably what causes the explosions.

Electrical braking at its simplest form would be a very low-resistance load across the generator, which would naturally get VERY warm. If they got really hard-core into it, they'd apply a reverse voltage to it (or reverse-phase voltage, if it's an alternator), but I doubt they'd be set up for that in most cases, as you'd need a source of the "braking" power.

i have always wondered how wind turbines/power stations sync the frequency... you can't have them all out of phase, that'd mess things up. as it is the national 'grid' every single power generator in the country has to be synced... how do they do it? does anyone on here know?