jxk716

Balun Installation Help

This may be an easy one to answer:

I will be working on a job where the DVR will be located in another building about 300 feet away from the cameras (using CNB monalisas). One outdoor rated Cat 5 has already been run from the DVR location to the building where the 4 cameras will mount outside.

Having never used baluns should I go with a Quad Video Balun and run RG 59 from that to the cameras then crimp an RJ 45 at both ends of the Cat 5? Or should I use individual baluns? If I use the RG 59 Siamese I will have the 18/2 for power (planning on using a 4 channel altronix for the cams)

Each camera will be somewhere between 20 and 50 feet from the other so I am not sure how I would separate the Cat 5 out to each camera if using individual baluns.

Your quad balun plan should work nicely.

You could also run a Cat5 from each camera to the common point, then connect the video pair from each camera to another pair on the homerun.

Or you could use one of these:

ev04pvps-1.jpg

With one of these at each camera:

ev01pvpt-1.jpg

Then run a single Cat5 from the VPS back to the head end, and connect to the DVR with a quad balun like this:

1e420f4cb154eecfaedbb65840854d24-1.jpg

Thanks Soundy, I was hoping you'd chime in especially after I read your posts from the past on Baluns.

In your first example ("run a Cat5 from each camera to the common point, then connect the video pair from each camera to another pair on the homerun") I would use individual Baluns at each camera connected to 4 separate Cat 5 (use a different pair at each camera)then use something like a beanie connector and match up the pairs from the cameras to the home run Cat 5?

Whatever pairs, from the cams, I am not using can then be used for power right?

I would then use the other 4 Baluns at the DVR and connect each pair to each Balun right?