pilotg2

Dahua/Qvis possible harddrive errors?

Hi all,

I recently brought 2 Dahua dvr's with 1TB hard drives for separate suppliers - both have newish firmware.

Now the weird part - both DVR are now showing Slight under the disk damage heading. And the one where i have logging enabled has logged SMART - Slight. Please see below for screen shots. I formatted one of the DVR's and that cleared the "Slight" to Normal for a few days. However Slight has returned! I have enabled all system logging on both dvr's now.

Seems a very strange coincidence but I'm presuming this is not normal behaviour and there is something wrong with both these disks?

174146_1.jpg

174146_2.jpg

174146_3.jpg

Edited by Guest

Yeah on the DVR itself you should be getting a disk smart error ..

I had a DVR doing that and after a format it never came back.

It might be more related to the file system, the log explanation doesnt even mention it though.

What firmware is on the DVRs?

Ahh that is interesting, so you think there may be nothing wrong with the disk? I also formatted twice and within a few days 'Slight' returned both times... I have emailed Dahua directly as well so will be interesting to hear what they come back with. Otherwise the DVR is working 100%.

It seems to only show the disk error on reboot and will beep if that's enabled.

Firmware version is 2.608.0000.0,Build:2011-9-28

I too have the same issue with my Qvis Zeus 8CH DVR. Only set it up last week with 1TB Samsung F3 HDD and it showed 'slight' under HDD health. I today formatted it using the built in DVR software and it's showing normal now but I wonder for how long. Something to worry about?

I too have the same issue with my Qvis Zeus 8CH DVR. Only set it up last week with 1TB Samsung F3 HDD and it showed 'slight' under HDD health. I today formatted it using the built in DVR software and it's showing normal now but I wonder for how long. Something to worry about?

These are the only 1TB Samsung HDDs that Dahua recommends as of October 14, 2011

HA101UJ/CE

HD103SI/CEC

Thanks rory. Is there is a full list of HDD that Dahua recommends for their DVR's for brands other than Samsung?

Here is Dahua's Excel file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bwl9wy2e80it4fr

Here is my modified PDF file

http://www.mediafire.com/?0a32dt4pz8hfjhy

Although just because they dont recommend it, doesnt always mean it wont work.

They recommend against WD Blue Drives for example but those work fine.

Dahua support sent me the list of recommended and not recommended HDD - let me know if you need it. According to my supplier i have the Samsung HD103SI - so it's not a compatibility problem.

This was Dahua's response - "do you use the recommended HDD ? I think you can continue using that HDD if it works. we sugguest use HDD for DVRS,not for PC."

Interestingly on the 16ch DVR the hdd has been replaced, with it only to return to 'Slight' within 4 days. According to the logs it unexpectedly shutdown and the error was shown on auto reboot - same as when it occurred the first time. Now whenever I reboot the DVR it shows up slight.

The 4ch DVR unit was replaced and 'Slight' hasn't returned.

I have gone back to them just to clarify whether this means it maybe a software bug and there is nothing wrong with the HDD??

Edited by Guest

I was gettkng a disk full error on my 1TB 4 ch Zeus, seems it started after the first overwrite yet it kept recording. I received a firmware update from the seller dated April, 2011. That was late December and, although I am waiting for it to overwrite again, there has been no disk errors.

S.M.A.R.T. hard disk evaluation software does not produce 100% reliable assessments of any particular hard drive. Every S.M.A.R.T. application interprets a S.M.A.R.T. supported hard drive with subtly different measurements which figure into an algorithm that is simplified for the user and presented as a Health or Condition Rating. This rating can be a term such as ‘slight wear’ or it may be simply a percentage. Either way, the application software is aiming at the same objective: the prediction of hard disk failure.

Every S.M.A.R.T. application evaluates hard disks differently. The use of three or four different S.M.A.R.T. applications on any test hard disk will produce three or four slightly different results or evaluations. For example, one S.M.A.R.T. application will assess the test hard disk as 100% Healthy while the next application will give it a rating of, say, 99.8% with some obscure mention of an error. Often these errors are irrelevant to the reliable functioning of the drive. It is possible to test a hard disk with several thousand hours of hard use and the S.M.A.R.T software will give the disk a warning and flag it as a candidate for replacement. At the same time, that disk will continue to function correctly with no bad sectors or issues detrimental to the data. The whole point to S.M.A.R.T. is to act as an extremely cautious and pessimistic evaluation tool for the prediction of hard disk failure.

Ivan at Dahua probably wasn’t too worried about it because there is no need to be concerned.

N.B. S.M.A.R.T software has infinite uses for checking the minutiae of information about a particular hard disk. It is not simply there to predict catastrophic failure.

I was gettkng a disk full error on my 1TB 4 ch Zeus

Thats actually not an error. Whenever you hard drive turns or reaches its full capacity, it will give you that notification

Further to the discussion of S.M.A.R.T. characteristics: various shareware and freeware versions of these applications are available on line. The installation of these applications on a PC would help users familiarise themselves with the very broad range of measurements S.M.A.R.T. applications catalogue.