MetzLyov

Instant Message

Guys,

I know we exchange our questions and answers via threads, PMs, sometime phone calls and even by private e-mails which are great form of communication. Does anyone care for IM?? Or it wil be too much?

I communicate with many counterparts via IM. Not sure it is a viable form for our forum, but I thought I will put it up for debate....

Levon

Only form of that I use is Skype - P2P.

Instant Messenging Programs leave your computer open to worms, spyware etc. I delete MSN IM from the registry, services, and the hard drive ... totally

I use GAIM in Linux and I have no issues for any worms, spyware or anything at all... May be it is time to move to Linux?

Just thought it was yet another form of tool that we can use...

Levon

Yeah tought you were talking the windows ones ..

AIM, MSNIM, and YIM ... all spyholes

Every PC I clean up that has spyware, worms, etc, all have IM on them, windows that is. Ive never had any and I dont use any antivirus or anything ...

I have not used anti-virus or anti-spyware software in a longest time and no problems with my setup... You see, any linux user does not have to worry about these Microshaft induced problems. They purposely make their OS fairly bad, so that they can create other businesses, jobs and their own opportunities...

In the last few months I am using FreeBSD version 5.5 stable on the GUI and it actually works even better than Linux (it is a much cleaner kernel)... It works with all the Linux based applications and with over 20,000 apps in place, I am never shorted on anything I want to do... I should completely move to FreeBSD shortly... Just bought another AMD 64-bit based system and started to setup it up the way I like it... My last setup (using the same computer) is over 2 years old and I am always looking for newer gadgets and products. Eventually, I'd say in the next few months, I will have all our workstations converted at work, if I see the defenite benefits on FreeBSD vs. Liunx...

By the way, regardless if you use Linux or FreeBSD, you can take the full advantage of the 64-bit apps, which are more in these platforms than Microswifts latest 64-bit os...

Heck, it is great to be on the edge of latest and greatest technologies and as long as we are learning something new everyday

Levon

I've used AIM, Yahoo, and ICQ ahd have had hardly any problems. The trick is to only accept messages from people you have in your list. You have to make friends outside through other sources (like here), and add them. But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

BTW, I'm sirflannel on yahoo, SirFlannel on AIM, and sirflannel on ICQ ( a stretch, I know) Cheers

i bet you have some spyware running in the back ground though .. and dont know about it ... run SpyBot S&D and let me know what comes up in the list.

Instant Messenging and Windows = Spyware . ... . . plain fact.

Not trillian. Besides, I control what comes into my machines, but more importantly, what wants to get out.

Its not about that, its about how many extra programs are running, slowing your PC down, and taking over IE ...

That doesnt mean anything, we are talking windowz, you can have a 10Ghz and windowz can still slow down from too many processes .. iv e seen a 3.2 with 1GB DDR crawling along with 30 odd unknown programs running in the back ground and he wondered why it wasnt as fast as his 2Ghz 256MB work PC ...

I got a java chat room if you want to add it to this forum ... dats the real deal ..

Java is real time ... its the original deal.

You're thinking of scripts that refresh.