Sign in to follow this  
spawn

DVR help needed please!

Hello all!

I need alittle help please!

Ive recently fitted a Kguard CA104-H04 dvr cctv system, ive got it up and running of a monitor at work, but i now want to view the cameras at home. Ive tried entering various ip addresses but none work from home to access the system home page, i can only access it through an ip address using my works laptop running off the same modem router (thomson)?

What do i need to do to access the cameras from home? and which ip address do i need to use?

Thanks in advance

You typically need to setup a port forward of the ADSL router to be able to access it from outside the LAN.

Do you have access to the router config pages?

Tim Norton

Hi, i accessed the router today, and tried to set up port forwarding for the cameras, i set up port forwarding for ports 9000 to 9000 as that is the port for cameras is that right as it still doesnt work?

Not sure im using the right ip address either to access it from home? thanks

Sounds to me like you are trying to use one of your private IP addresses to route publically across the internet. This will not work, you need to find out the external facing IP address of your router and use that to access it from home.

An IP address of 192.168.1.100 is a class C private IP address. When at work do a google search for whats my ip and it will tell you what your public IP address is.

Once you have a public IP address, and have made sure the correct ports are forwarded on the router, so you would forward port 9000 to the internal IP address of the router and make sure the port can accept connections through any firewall that is in place. Then you will be able to access from home.

Now you also have the issue of the posibility you have a dynamic IP address assigned to you, this means it has the potential to change now we are talking a DDNS situation to keep track of the correct IP.

Steps:

1 determine internal IP of DVR system ie 192.168.1.101

2 determine external IP go to whatsmyip.com and it will tell you

3 port forwarding on router, forward port 9000 to the internal IP address of 192.168.1.101

4 make sure the port 9000 is allowed through any firewalls.

now test from home.