troy6363

BNC Compression Fittings

Hello all. Hope everyone had a Happy New Year!! I did my last cctv job and didnt really like the bnc crimp on connectors I used. I had to replace alot of them because the connection was not crimped tight enough. Could have simply been the crimp tool I was using that I picked up from the local home depot. It did a decent job for the most part. Im moving up to the bnc compression connectors. From what I researched, these are the best connectors that you can use with coax. I know they cost more though. How many of you use rg59 siamese with compression bnc? Just curious. In the future I will try a job or two using cat5 and baluns. Just dont want to use them on 12v cams. I will use them on 24v cams

3btech_2187_12768149.jpg.b8577b1c135913abe306e44dea69ffeb.jpg

I've been using those same ICM units with my Paladin SealTite tool, they work great. One thing that's really nice about them is the plastic sleeve that presents at the wire entry, to guide the center conductor through. The one thing that drives me nuts, is the plastic dispenser tube they ship in, but now I just slice that open and dump them into a parts bin

As tom notes, getting the right stripping lengths is important, but that applies to any BNC design... and I've actually found these fittings to be more forgiving of varying lengths than most others.

Yea I'm glad to try the switch from crimp to compression. I know they cost more but I'm more concerned with getting a quality connection and not have to replace anything unless the customer wants to upgrade to cat5. I know those rj45 connectors r a piece of cake.

been using twists on for 10 years and never had a problem.

Rory, I have a whole bag of them in th closet that has never been used. I thought those were the worst connections to use

been using twists on for 10 years and never had a problem.

Rory, I have a whole bag of them in th closet that has never been used. I thought those were the worst connections to use

Uh-oh, now you've done it...

I thought those were the worst connections to use

Whoever told you that has no clue about CCTV and perhaps should be a cashier at macdonalds instead.

In a previous life I was an electrician, and we would use nothing but the twist on F-connectors for coax. We never had an issue with them at all.

Now in the CCTV world, where I don't use CAT, I use mini-RG59, so the ICM compression connectors for that.

For what it’s worth, the Kings BNC Model Number: KC-59 294 range of RG59 crimp on BNC connectors are a work of art. They were exquisitely machined and precision made in the US many years ago. They used a small T-piece heat resistant washer to line up the BNC pin with the RG59 core. This detailed washer fitted hard against the dielectric insulator so that the dielectric insulator sat on one side with the soldered pin on the other. The ferules too are of a high quality; being about ½” long and exceptionally sturdy.

Kings BNC connectors originally retailed, as I remember, for around $9.00 each US. New Old Stock is only available today, with prices at about $2 to $3 US.

Given the quality of the Kings BNCs, it should come as no surprise that the company went out of business many years ago. Cheaper imports and more popular twist-on fittings eroded Kings’ market share until the inevitable cessation of business.

we use the ICM and have not had the problems that occurred with the crimp on. The main issue is making sure whatever type you use they are installed correctly. it seems every tech has a shortcut or "better way"

Here in the UK we do have the seal tight connectors and they are great but no widely available other than from ebay

also I would have more confidence to use them if they were branded like Greenpar or AMP etc. Unfortunately not yet available here with the exception of Farnell or RS components who both charge ridiculous prices for them.

I buy my RG59 BNCs from a UK source I found at IFSEC and I buy by the bag of 100. I am using more these days as most installs are using Cat5 baluns we still have to make up the patch leads so I suppose we'll never supersede the BNC.

I do like the EZ RJ45 plugs and hope they will become cheaper with time as they are so easy to fit well.

3 piece crimps meantime remain the realistic economic option.

I recently tried some of the IDEAL RG59 compression fittings from Lowe's and I had nothing but problems with them. I never felt like the wire was going far enough into the fitting and I ended up without conductivity. If there is a visual reference in the fitting, I could not see it.

The ICM fittings get good reviews and I wonder if it was just me... I went back to some solder/crimp fittings and everything went smooth for the rest of the instal. I certainly see the advantage of not having three pieces, but my first experience with the compression fittings was horrible. I have done a lot of BNC on RG59, 58, 316, 178 and never had any problems.

I always use the 3 part crimp BNCs as I always have done, they do not give me any problems.

I always glue a strain relief boot to the cable and ferrule and secure the coax with a semis flexible 'rapstrap' (see below)

to prevent snagging and pulling on the BNC.

I have tried and was impressed with the compression type BNCs, but at the moment they are expensive here in the UK

It's hard to choose between the two types of connectors, so for that reason I have remained with what I know.

I have the tooling for both types of plug so that has not influenced my decision.

Some of the compression plugs are referred to as watertight, although I can't see the advantage

as I would never leave a BNC exposed to the elements where water could get in and moisture is never a problem either.

I feel there is not a lot to choose between the two types.

below are rapstraps, they are semi flexible cable ties that do not change the position of the center-core of coax, in relation to the screen.

210101_1.jpg

See the video