RatCat

AVI backup from Samsung SRD-1670DC-2TB

Hi,

I just purchased and installed a Samsung DVR (SRD-1670DC-2TB) and seem to have everything configured and dialed in as I like, however I am having a problem with the backup feature.

If I backup to the .SEC file format, I seem to be locked into Samsung's dedicated viewer app to watch the video on my Win7 PC. I'd much rather use a standard format I can more easily share with others, so I tried backing up to AVI (the DVR offers SEC or AVI backup). Trouble is, the AVI file produced by the DVR doesn't play in QuickTime, Windows Media Player, or other viewers I downloaded. The entire video is black.

What am I missing here? Is this AVI file in some special CCTV format that I must first convert to a 'normal' AVI?

Also, if this is simply a bug in the DVR backup feature I suppose I can just use the .SEC format and convert it to AVI, however I can't find any SEC -> AVI converters. Does anyone know of one I can download?

Appreciate any help you can give me...

-Barry

Chances are you are missing a codec, or the codec used to encode the AVI file is not supported by quicktime, try a couple other viewers like windows media player and see if it plays, if not, you will have to locate the correct codec in order to view the AVI file. I would suggest checking the manufacturers website or else the CD if it came with one.

I recommend downloading either GOM Player or VLC player. I have never failed to view any avi using either of these players.

I have a similar problem in the same model. I need the Avi so i can edit the video.

I do the backup directly from the DVR to a USB in AVI format but it doesn't have the audio. I can play it and i only see the video, I'm pretty sure is not about the codecs

The backups in .sec and the .DVR formats however have the audio Ok.

When i do the backup using the smartviewer installed in my PC the result is always SEC format with the SAMSUNG player

Any help is aprecciated.