mike_va

help needed - covert IR (no red glow) at 100 yards

Obviously the more expensive KT&C is the better camera.

Although Ive used TND IR bullets with much better IR than this.

But I didnt buy it for the IR in this case.

This is pitch dark BTW, I needed a flash light to walk out there.

It does give a really good color image at night compared to others I tested.

Will wait for the day time ..

ktnctdn.jpg.b750f299726f50d050f7704ddfa92eca.jpg

Rory, as your next step you should buy a LUX meter and measure objective parameters of illumination and sensitivity as well as IR light intensity. Using objective parameters you can compare different cameras and IR illuminators with good accuracy.

Here are some party goers that were out on a night we did some testing (~75 yards, Axis P1344 Raytec RM100-10. Want to get this quality another ~25 yards out (on the sidewalk), and invisible. Analog cams (like the BBM-24F) can give even better sensitivity and contrast, but you get half that FOV for that resolution. However even having said that the light is just not getting out that far, seems to fall of quickly.

The P1344 actually helps since it is a 1/4" sensor, so it is zoomed in more - I only have few lenses that go out that far. What I really need is a 100-150mm lens at f1.0...probably exists somewhere from some old spy operation. Anyone has a good idea on this one I'd love to hear it.

I want enough detail to have an event dealt with by the police.

Even given the lack of resolution someday may try the Axis 1602, saw some test results from that which were most impressive. The current setup is two Axis P1344 zoomed in a just a little more, giving complete coverage to the entrance to the culdesac.

The other thing that is great is this setup does a great job of plate capture.

1545218027_Picture2a.thumb.jpg.99fb39737f1124ab1fd3c010c4d91f77.jpg

Hi Mike. Did you get your IR distance problem sorted out? I had the same problem with distance but I needed 500 metres distance. I have some solutions that may help you or anyone that need to long distance with no glow.

You could always set a standard illuminator back inside a tube... would still have the glow, but you'd have to be looking straight into the tube to see it.

Interesting idea, but I'm trying to be invisible to the jokers that come and take the GPS in the middle of the night. It's fine being visible as a deterrent, but when it comes to prosecution I'd like as little connection as possible. A month or two ago, two guys walked down the culdesac (pretty rare) since enclosed and tried the neighbors car doors. As they were coming across I think they saw my dome cams and left. Two other times I've seen people inside cars down at the end of the culdesac rummaging around. Classic situation people around here have too much money (2nd median income in the country) and don't lock the car doors. So people know where to come for an easy GPS.

They may have seen the IR units, but you have to know what they are. Anyway, just trying to be as invisible as possible to the neighbors, thieves and teen vandals...

I like the idea though.

It looks like the cameras are doing their jobs, running off the theives. I love it when people notice cameras, they have that look on their face cause they know if they can see the cam, the cam can see them, and has their image now. Would you rather they kicked your door in and left with your tvs, money, jewelry and dvr,? I say crank up the IR's, and tell your neighbors you have cameras. The cameras are there to help protect everyone in the neighborhood.

as far as the human eye the 940nm leds give off no visible spectrum, and the "experts" say the 940nm ir lenses dont see them as bright, and make a horrible ir light source and should only be used for remote controls. as for the 850nm ir wavelenth, the led lights up red so you will see it at night, my personal experience has taught me, that if your using ir for lighting effect ie. night vision, than throw the 850 wavelenth out, you can see it, it draws attention. i only use the 940 and can not tell the diffrence from 850 and 940 through my cameras they both look just as bright, in compairison. as for pricing i just bought from http://www.lightingnext.com/940nm-infrared-led-strip-light.html for 99 bucks

as far as the human eye the 940nm leds give off no visible spectrum

I have a 940nm RayMax that is plainly visible to the human eye. More covert than an 850nm unit, but by no means is it invisible. It has been spotted by people walking past on several occasions.

Around here many of the houses have these little path lights that give off various colors; I have been considering placing a few of those around the area and maybe fool people into thinking the IR is just another colored path light.