Sign in to follow this  
phcch2

IP cams over distances of 10km

Please can anyone suggest a way forward or a company to meet for this scope of work.

IP cameras to be installed and broadcast wireless on a WAN over distances of 10km -15km on Large weather proof screens (16ft by 12ft). The whole objective is to monitor traffic congestion.

Can anyone give me a lead?

When I worked for a large IT company in the UK some years ago, I was involved in the rollout of wireless within their buildings and the research of wirless WAN links too.

For this distance you will almost certainly be looking at point to point WAN either by radio or microwave. I have not kept up to date with this technology in any way, but as a start you may be looking at the product offerings of companies like these two (although there are doubtless countless more companies):

http://www.meridianmicrowave.com/

http://www.trangobroadband.com/solutions/wireless-wan-outdoor-wide-area-network.aspx

Hope this helps.

You might want to approach any wireless internet service providers in your area for the connectivity, they will be familiar with the terrain and interference that may be in your area. (you might consider subcontracting that portion of the job to them. If you are not familiar with creating microwave links, a project of this scale and scope might not be a good place to start).

To clear home sized obstacles and earth curvature in a 15KM link at 60% or better Fresnel zone clearance, plan on needing towers/mounting assemblies at least 10M high, and possibly higher depending on terrain (assuming operation at 5.8 GHz or higher).

High gain Point-to-Point links are reasonably created at that distance, Point-to-Multipoint links will be more challenging.

If you can give more details, we may be able to help more (eg. area of coverage for cameras, size of screens, etc.)

Many thanks. I will give more details about the project.

Objective

Monitor traffic situations in different locations

My client wants to monitor traffic situations using 3 large weather proof screens (16ft by 12ft) to be mounted at 3 different locations in a city in Nigeria. Because of the terrain and coverage(10km - 15km), I am thinking that we will be needing about 15 IP cameras that will operate on a WWAN. The cameras do not necessarily have to be in the same location as the screens. There are existing mobile phone network that can be leveraged on, but the costs are very high and deliveryis mostly poor.

Now can I get some quotes or is there a company that can handle this. Location is in Portharcourt, Nigeria.

I am asked to make a quote. I think that if the quote is reasonable that the job will fly since competition is going to be narrow based on this emerging technology

This is something that my company does on a daily basis. We have IP cameras broadcasting at that distance right now. There are tons of ways to make it happen, but budget is a very large consideration.