JPA

Wiring Camera to a 12v DC distributor

I have the 9 camera power supply and I'm about to hook up the camera. How do I know which wire goes on + and -?

camer a should have come with a one page specification sheet that shows the voltage connections. If not, do a WEB search to see if you can find it.

and, if it is 12vdc, positive to positive (+) and negative to negative (-).

24vac, does not matter, just connect them.

And, make sure the voltage you apply is the camera voltage required.

if you have a 2.1mm connector, use a meter to ohm out the wires. Center is always positive (+) in DC................AC does not matter.

I have in the past come across some cameras where the plug polarity is reversed, so it's better (and cheaper) not to assume if you're not absolutely sure.

Some cameras will provide a small connector pin i.d. icon next to the input, and certainly the majority do use the central conductor for +12v DC.

If not sure, you can always use a multimeter to test continuity between the pins and the outer case (if metal), or visible screws are often fixed directly to the camera chassis which is grounded (0v DC).

As a further safety step, it's good practice to use a small diode (IN 4001/2 or similar) on the +ve supply. This should protect the camera against accidental reverse polarity, and any possible future failures caused by damage to the cameras power supply cable, or the power supply itself.

Some cameras already have reverse polarity protection on their internal power supply board, but it's generally better not to have to find out the hard way

When they say it doesn't matter with AC, that is false-well, some truth in that. If you wire a camera a certain way, Black to black, red (white) to red (white), then you should wire all that same way. Stay consistant with your polarity. Otherwise, you will be prone to jumping pictures or lines running accross your screen.