Digiscan

Vivotek 8134 as outdoor cam?

I was looking at the Vivotek 8332, but the 8134 is cheaper and I prefer its form factor. This will be easily protected from rain, but the main issue I may have is operating temperature. The 8332 is rated to -4 F. I could possibly see temps as low as 0F and the 8134 is rated only down to 0F.

I assume the hardware is highly similar between them, though. If I am keeping the 8134 fully protected from rain/snow, is it liable to function down to 0F?

The 8134 is not outdoor rated. Even though you keep it out of the direct rain and snow it is still open to the elements such as humidity. There is no desicant pack that will absorb the humidy since it's not airtight.

I believe the 8134v has recently been ip66 or maybe 67 approved but I could be wrong with that, do to it being a sidetrack conversation with Vivotek support a few weeks ago. For the small price difference I would stretch for the 8332.

That wasn't your question though. To answer you as best I can the electronics as long as they are powered on should be enough to keep that camera going well below the speced rating. No manufacturer will tell you that so I base it on my past 5 years of business with cameras. Since this camera is not outdoor rated though you may being blowing any heat generated by the camera out of unsealed joints so it's a little hard to say positively.

The FD8134 is not sealed against moisture, dust, and small insects. Small insects, then spiders, will love using the dome as their home.

For outdoors, I would use the FD8134V, IP8332, or FD8133.

As a side note the 8134's are great inexpensive indoor cameras... plus they are small in size, not much bigger than a baseball.