troy6363

Outdoor Wiring Applications

Alright guys. I need a little help from the professionals or even the experienced DIYer. I finished my 1st cctv job at the church and they are pleased with everything. I now have a job waiting where its an older house (maybe built in 1950). The attic space is very tight and hard to get to the eaves and some parts of the attic are not even assessable due to upgrades and add ons that have been done in renovations over the years. Anyway to keep this short and sweet. I need some ideas, tips, or maybe pics of other installs where you used conduit or pvc to run the rg59 in to get it to a location where a junction box can be installed and then sent into the house. I have seen a few pics on this forum where people have used ent conduit thats flexible. I need a solution that looks professional and cannot be tampered with too much. I used flexible conduit on my last job and I liked the way it turned out. Any pics or advice is greatly appreciated. This client had a burglary to their home last week.

Some choices are conduit or wire mold.

Yep. Wiremold would probably look better. Conduit is sometimes a little too "industrial" for a residence.

For interior work, you can often hide wire behind crown molding.

You know any websites that sell the wiremold

Any local electrical store should carry it.

Electrical... or building supply. Got a Home Depot nearby? Lowe's? Even some plumbing shops may carry it.

This is the stuff:

178007_1.jpg

Had them outside for 10 years at one house on the ocean.

They aren't water sealed though if that's what you mean.

Nope, not watertight, but they will provide pretty good protection from the elements as long as they're not in direct rain.

Actually, depending on the style you get, many types are "hinged" and putting the hinged edge up on a horizontal run should keep rainwater from getting in.

Ok, here's some pics of our conduit pole make-ups w/ pro looking lockable junction boxes. Keep in mind it's cold up here, to cold to paint so for a few months that are primer only.

*** Very pro, but when 30 outside & the sun hits, the 3" conduit will curve up to 1.5" at the top of 12'. note only when the sun warms one side & I'm the only one that's seen it tnk God.

Suggest maybe 4" conduit as 3" is tough, but 4" is more so.....

As to the eaves! Just remember that there is no reason to have to go face down in the insulation! whenever working in eves, somewhere, sometimes sadly only 2, vents will cross the wall plate for attic intake venting....

Always run your wires from the ends of the eves to these vents & use a stick of 1/2" conduit to guide all the wires there up into the center of attic where you can reach them..... doing this, the vents are normally 24" wide above the wall allowing for 1/2 conduit to go in at up to 35degree angle.... so the right methods make no attic to bad....

As for wiring...

If leaving the home to far, consider taking 120v outside w/ it. I used 14/2burial alongside the conduit. Makes for nice options down the road as a powered gate & you dont have to run cords out for the shop-vac when sucking the pull rope "kit string" through...

As to the eaves! Just remember that there is no reason to have to go face down in the insulation! whenever working in eves, somewhere, sometimes sadly only 2, vents will cross the wall plate for attic intake venting....

Always run your wires from the ends of the eves to these vents & use a stick of 1/2" conduit to guide all the wires there up into the center of attic where you can reach them..... doing this, the vents are normally 24" wide above the wall allowing for 1/2 conduit to go in at up to 35degree angle.... so the right methods make no attic to bad....

Have to remember homes are built differently all over. Ive come across homes with brick all the way to the roof, making access to the eaves with a snake next to impossible. Then there is all the AC duct which stops you in your path, and in smaller attics the fiberglass insulation alone will prevent any access there in person or with a snake. In addition there are the add ons where they blocked off an entire section of the house from another.

Note, if not for our system covering 3 properties & 9 structures together & spans up to near 400' wire runs, I would have never gone away from the main structure! A lot more work, plus depending where you are, the local codes for such can be a real #^#.

Have to remember homes are built differently all over. Ive come across homes with brick all the way to the roof, making access to the eaves with a snake next to impossible. Then there is all the AC duct which stops you in your path, and in smaller attics the fiberglass insulation alone will prevent any access there in person or with a snake. In addition there are the add ons where they blocked off an entire section of the house from another.

Fair enough, but "most" homes to code have least 2 vents per side yes? I understand the insulation blocking access, we have r72, its near 3' tall. But we also have vents ever other truss crossing. Not sure how to go about a home that would have brick w/ no vents, never seen a build like that....

Fair enough, but "most" homes to code have least 2 vents per side yes? I understand the insulation blocking access, we have r72, its near 3' tall. But we also have vents ever other truss crossing. Not sure how to go about a home that would have brick w/ no vents, never seen a build like that....

Codes differ the world over. For example, we have much more stricter building codes for hurricanes than even Florida USA does, although their codes for everything else is likely 100% stricter than ours. Although I am not a builder so I cannot say for certain. I know one thing though, my apartment has no vents at all, in fact there are no eaves. I dont even know what a truss is so maybe we dont even have those here?

I dont even know what a truss is so maybe we dont even have those here?

Edit. Ok LOL after looking up Truss on google I guess we have them, please excuse my ignorance on that.

I dont even know what a truss is so maybe we dont even have those here?

Edit. Ok LOL after looking up Truss on google I guess we have them, please excuse my ignorance on that.

^^^ That was rather funny! " title="Applause" />

Ok, here's some pics of our conduit pole make-ups w/ pro looking lockable junction boxes. Keep in mind it's cold up here, to cold to paint so for a few months that are primer only.

Thanks guys for more insight on this. Hey PaulsonLaw where are the pics?

I found 2 pics from this forum where someone used some flex tubing to run wires to a jb then to a dvr. Doesnt look very professional tho, but I guess it works for them

cam1.thumb.gif.36606e80b839b3eb699fc3d8a88833f9.gif

cam2.thumb.jpg.266033713c43cc356fbd71872a271056.jpg

Hey guys, anybody out there???

I also found this video on ebay where the guy uses metal conduit to run wire to cams that are on a brick wall and where drill into the building is not accessible on the inside. The quality of his video is crappy but you get the point.

I found 2 pics from this forum where someone used some flex tubing to run wires to a jb then to a dvr. Doesnt look very professional tho, but I guess it works for them

[attachment=1]cam1.gif[/attachment]

[attachment=0]cam2.jpg[/attachment]

Hell this is better than a lot of the jobs I've seen. The job is complete, no wires exposed and me personally I don't do it this way but I think this install is pretty good. If we can we typically mount outdoor bullet cams directly to an outdoor box with a camera that has a through bracket cable and sometimes this cannot be done where the camera would be hanging that much lower. They have cameras with built in junction boxes where conduit can be run directly to it or a bracket that can be modified with a step bit to bring liquid tight or whatever to it.