Sign in to follow this  
tylerm

Need a camera for an industrial application.

I am looking for a camera to fit in a compact space with the following specifications for an aerospace manufacturing monitoring application:

IP65 or greater ingress protection

GIGE network connection

As small as possible, I'm talking Point Grey Flea 3 small

No IR or other auxiliary light is required

Color image

the higher the native resolution the better

I know a bunch about cameras but not a damn thing about security cameras, help please.

Another option is to build or adapt an existing IP65 enclosure for a tiny camera

This is not a security camera application, It will be hooked up to a monitor with 4 other cameras so the operator can see what the machine is doing without risking getting crushed by it.

A 50mm equivalent lens would be fine from the 35mm film world, no fisheye 180 degree lenses required.

This is not a security camera application, It will be hooked up to a monitor with 4 other cameras so the operator can see what the machine is doing without risking getting crushed by it.

A 50mm equivalent lens would be fine from the 35mm film world, no fisheye 180 degree lenses required.

What size of camera do you need?

Most analog security cameras are based on a circuit board approx 1.5" square with a lens affixed to the board. Therefore the smallest 'normal' cameras tend to be around 2" diameter and 2" deep, since there is often space left open for internal cabling, the IR illumination, etc.

The cheap 'board' analog cameras just add a bracket or a little square case to the circuit board and that's it.

You're asking for one with a ethernet connection, which typically makes the camera huge, as there is a lot of circuitry in there to make the network connection work.

Your best bet is to do a google search for 'industrial machine vision cameras', as i cannot think of a single security camera that fit your needs. In general, it might make sense to use analog video for this type of application, since it is simpler and cheaper. Ethernet is great for many things, but in terms of life-safety, I would trust analog much more.