Sign in to follow this  
telovoyagarcar

Wide angle question

Im really new to CCTVs.. installed a few systems already and found them to be really bad quality. I tried the garbage nightowl, and also the ones at the small local CCTV stores which run almost double in price but had more problems with the client software than the cheaper ones.

I will read a lot the forums so i can understand how the hardware works to get good quality video.

This week i have a new customer who wants to add 4 cameras to his current setup.

This is inside an office, and it is to monitor the employees movements around 20feet of line of sight.

So i am looking at the domes, and i am confused by the 1/4 and 1/3 + the millimeters of the lenses.

This customer is more concerned about the field of view of the cameras rather than quality of the image.

The widest i found is the ones 1/3 and 2.8mm. i am using this site: http://www.misumi.com.tw/ac.htm to calculate the coverage.

I found this camera: http://www.securitycameradistributor.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=cdv2101

So to make it simple... am i looking at the right one here or what should i look for to get a wider angle without deforming too much the image?

1/3" @ 2.8mm is good and wide. Should be fine. The thing is though, learning by installing crap for customers? Ouy- anyone can hang a shingle on the front lawn I guess.

Start with a quality product, don't undersell your labor and don't promise the customer the moon! Fisheye lenses, 2.6mm lenses, 2.8mm lenses do the job, but if your target image is over 10 feet from the camera, go with a varifocal lens so you can correct for distance.