Sign in to follow this  
trythis

CIF or D1 on older analog camera with new DVR

I bought some of the Samsung SCC 130A cameras from Nelly's Surplus. I also purchased the Apollo DVR. The cameras are obviously not the fanciest, but I think the images look better than the night owl stuff display equipment at MicroCenter. They dont need extra lights at night with a .1 LUX rating. Anyway, thats not my question.

The cameras resolution is 330 TVL. The DVR can record at D1 7 fps on each channel or CIF at up to 30 on each channel.

With the camera limited to roughly CIF, output, am I better off running the system at CIF/30fps at D1/7fps? CIF fps could be any number....any suggestions welcome.

I have 2 TB drive and I am recording on motion detection. With three cameras currently hooked up it looks like I am using .01 Terabyte per every three days, so space doesn't seem to be an issue.

D1 will always look better, even in the Samsungs case. the pixel count for the samsung is bigger than CIF so you are still better off with D1

Thanks, that's the way I set it up, but it does seem strange that the small resolution increase is improvement over 30 FPS.

The equipment is great though, Sean. It's great way to get started with this stuff.

Its just up to you. The image will look better at D1 but if you are satisfied with CIF then go for it. I always recommend D1 over CIF, even if it means lowering frame rate. Increasing frame rate does not increase resolution, it just increases, well, the frame rate. In some instances, where your camera is zoomed in on a real specific area, it may be okay to do CIF but usually for normal wide angle shots, D1 is recommended. You can do a comparison shot where you can record at CIF for a couple of minutes and then switch the D1 for a couple of minutes, the you can play it back and see when it switches and you can determine if its that much of a difference and feel free to record at your desired resolution.