ic1nyc

Nuvico EV-series drive failure

Greetings all.

Anyone here works with these units? Is drive upgrade a simple matter of just installing a new one and having system format it accordingly?

Encountered an EV-16000N on a call to a new site today. Site suffered a few days of intermittent power losses, and drive appears corrupt. Upon boot, system halts @ 98% when "verifying recorded data" (or words to that affect). Live views still good, but system is unresponsive to any user input. I disco'ed drive and got good boot, then reconnected drive while system still live with the hope that I could then have system do a re-format. However, drive wasn't detected until a system restart, where it locked up again and displayed above-mentioned message.

With data recovery not being an issue, I thought I'd just connect it to PC and format drive to FAT32, then reinstall in DVR. But, no joy; with drive connected via SATA/USB adapter to a desktop, it's not recognized at all.

UPDATE: Now see the drive on PC, file system is ext3. I want to repartition and format drive, but am concerned about this since according to Nuvico FAQ, they want end-users to "contact ... distributor to upgrade the storage capacity of ... DVR unit". End user @ this site has no idea who is distributor, just that original tech that did install is traveling and unreachable.

Its a linux partition, Pretty much all of the standalone drives run some kind of linux variant.

Sounds like you have to reformat the drive as ext3, (you could download a 3rd party app to do it in windows or download hirens boot cd and use its mini linux installation to sort it for you) but if this drives causing issues like this its probably buggered.

Dollars to donuts says if you throw a new hdd in there the issues will stop and you will be able to navigate to a system format/ drive format menu which will allow you to format the new drive as ext3, with all the appropriate partitions and everything automaticly.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the response. I ended up formatting as NTFS with the hope that once reinstalled the unit will prep drive accordingly.