woodyads

Punch holes in this please

I am looking at installing an IP based vidoe system on a mine in West Australia (hot 55c+). I am new to CCTV and am reseaching the gear I have been quoted as I can't find many high temperature reference sites. Some of this gear will be mounted on trailers in the middle of an open pit exposed to the sun etc.

Remote trailers

Ikegami ICD-828p camera

HZCG12240 Lens

Esprit PTZ

DVTEL 7501E IP encoder

Cisco Aironet 1410 5.8Ghz link

or Orthogon Systems Gemini 5.8Ghz link

IP Software and system

Dell 2850 server with 900Gb drive space

DVTEL Latitude Classic Matrix Software

Questions

How does this camera system rate for quality given the harsh environment

How does the DVTEL software rate. and what is the best way to set up the server on the network (duel 1GB network cards)

Anyone used either of the 5.8GHz links

Anyone put a 7501E encoder in a box in 55c environment

Setup is 3 trailers with 6 cameras. There is other equipment involved but it has been tested and works in this environment.

All comments welcome

Cheers

Adam

Haven't worked with any of the equipment you are asking about, but have worked and still work in the frequency you are speaking of.

Are you planning on solar powering this? If so, good luck with an Esprit PTZ on a trailer. 900GB of disk space will be fine for a couple days of good framerates from 6 cams. We actually had to go to a server farm setup with multiple 2TB NAS servers, due to the volume of cameras we have out. Your microwave equipment will be fine, providing it's outdoor rated, and you are using outdoor rated CAT5.

Never worked with the Cisco stuff, but it is close to what we are using and performs well. Have heard the Esprit PTZ's are good but as I stated before, they use far too much power for solar.

Crap Rory, most of the major airports in the world now use encoded wireless networking for CCTV.

The heat in WA and the Humidity is going to be your worst enemy on this job, most cameras will not handle high heat, the best I have seen is the bosch..operating at +50 Degrees C, if you put this in a housing and keep it cool it may well help, some camera housings are like a heatsink, so make sure your cam has this kind of housing and not a plastic.

ikegami are good cameras, so are panasonic and also Bosch, tht emain thing your going to need to worry about is warranty, so check this out I know Bosch is 3 years cant say about the others.

Your webserving device is going to cook, webservers run hotter than any other external CCTV device, you are going to have to try to get one that can fit ina housing ...both DVTell and Bosch have these but your going to be generating a lot of heat.

Cisco gear is the bomb!!! I always quote it on bigger jobs, sure it's expensive but on a project you want expensive reliable gear, their support really sucks, so make sure the guy who quotes you (whom was that by the way..PM me) knows the Cisco Gear very well.

DV Tell is not as good as the Bosch VCS in my books, they only do one encoding of MPEG4 and from what i heard Bosch sells them the compression technology anyhow, VCS is also cheaper than DV Tell and you can then use a Hybrid DVR, the beenefit is then you dont have to have the matrix software, you will get 3yr warranty on the Hybrid DVR and if you want to hardwire the cams later then you can also do that.

I like dell computers but why not buy all the gear from one place with the same warranty?

As for setup on the network, it would be good to have a seperate network for the video but it is not crucial, it can exist on its own network or it can share your data network, you just need to calculate bandwidth!

PM me if you need assistance!

How did I get dragged into this??

But while im here, its not CCTV once it is a networked video system.

Im doing an airport system and the thought never occurred to go wireless network, that is because I know how to do it the REAL way.

I tested MileStone, LuxRiot, and a few others, and Lux Riot knocked MileStone off the map. Trial version, perhaps, but I doubt the full version looked much different.

Network is a network, plain and simple, no matter what speed and security you have - to rely on a PC network for security IS asking for trouble.

The cameras when you made those comments were the same quality as they are now.

And its got nothing to do with Opposite views, its just how it is.

I use various brands, and still do, i tell it like it is. I have no obligation to any manufacturer at all, none of them are paying my bills. I dont want to see you go, not at all, just cut back on the direct bosch advertising is all. There is more to CCTV than 1 manufacturer.

Whats the 2nd point?

As for setup on the network, it would be good to have a seperate network for the video but it is not crucial, it can exist on its own network or it can share your data network, you just need to calculate bandwidth!
Like pulling teeth-try getting some bandwidth (a very large amount-with wireless) from an IT Guy, from his network. I think I will wait for wireless cams to "eat" less and become more secure (i.e. next generation or so).

most of the major airports in the world now use encoded wireless networking for CCTV.

JFK, LaGuarda, Islip, Dublin all hard wired. Just a few I have/do work at. IP cameras would be a hard sell to any company that has the Government involved.

I've worked with guys who do IP camera networks and do them well and one of the common threads between them is putting them on a seperate network with the DVR/NVR acting as a gateway between them. To me that just makes more sense. They tend to be bandwith hungry and with all of the things being added to networks at the moment I wouldn't add that kind of load for 60 or 80 cameras.

So about a year later.

The PTZ's are power hungry and so are the links. Couldn't use solar but I had lighting plants that can charge the system fine.

DVTel released an extended temperature range encoder. They work fine under the high temperature environment.

Bandwidth could be an issue but the links (Cisco 1410) has port filtering. Make sure all the encoders are using the same port and block back traffic over the link. Again get all 10mb devices off the network. Most network devices support GB/s to the edge anyway. This is a bit tricky make sure you know your networking and network before attempting such a system.

This is not a security system so the comments about IP being inferior are irrelevant, It is far superior for this application. Let me explain. The system is in an open pit mine and is used by more than 50 users on site. A total of 200 desktop computers can view the images and have the option to move the PTZ depending on their login and security settings to the camera's. Further more the users are spread over a 2km area. IP is far better than Closed Circuit when dealing with that many end users. The users may be Geologist checking their dig tapes, Engineers auditing shovel dig rates against other production monitoring systems, Trainers evaluating operators skills and practices and evaluating and reviewing safety issues.

The Cameras in question must be mobile so they can be moved away for blasting and there is no possibility of getting fibre or any cable to the area so they must be on some form of wireless connectivity. Due to the excessive use of RF in the pit IP can be used to cut down the amount of RF traffic. I also use the 54Mb/s backbone to transmit other data out of the pit.

Moderator came up with the point of using the server as a gateway to eliminate broadcast traffic. Not a bad idea or the other way is to use layer 3 switches to control the flow of traffic. I have gone with the latter option.

Thanks for all your input. The project has been a huge success