Numb-nuts

Burglars, Smile you're in a Bait House

I am in the UK. We have a big problem with little scrotes breaking into houses to steal

often to raise money for their drug habits. 90% of the burglaries are committed by a small number of offenders.

Nottinghamshire police force are fighting back. and winning!

In the same way we have seem bait cars on TV, which the US police forces are using, police in Nottinghamshire

are setting up bait houses. They find suitable houses in residential streets where the burglary rate is high, and ask residents if they can use a single room with an outside window for several weeks. They set up the scene with valuables on view and a number of hidden low light cameras in the bait house. They choose locations that are easy to access, leave a window open and wait. They set a laptop in clear view, but the laptop has a surprise, as soon as it is lifted, the offender is sprayed with smart water.

Smart water is a unique liquid material, each batch having it's own unique synthetic DNA profile. It spays everywhere catching footprints and marking the offender 's skin and clothing. It can be removed but is not visible without UV light.

Even after offenders have attempted to wash it off traces still remain.

As I said in 90% of cases its a small group of offenders committing burglaries so they are often known to police and can be arrested for forensic examination within hours of the offense taking place. The method has very high conviction successes. Of course nothing is completely foolproof but it has driven down their burglary rates significantly as word gets around.

This was all on TV this evening, absolutely brilliant.

Sounds like an interesting idea.

Drug trade here is now out of control, almost worse than the 80's/90's, people are getting murdered left and right now - and oh yeah that brings me to the other thing, here if they want money for drugs, well they are too lazy to go rob a house, they will just walk up to someone and shoot them in the head and take their money. There is a big cash for gold industry here now, so the criminals go around ripping chains and stuff from people, selling those for cash, then buying a gun to go out and rob and murder. Since most are thugs they do it for partying, drinking, drugs, or girls.

Any info on the show name? I'm in the US and Love Bait car. Would Love to see Bait house. lol

Every two minutes a house in Britain is burgled, and for years Nottingham has suffered the highest burglary rates in the UK. But the city's police are fighting back, and are now capturing the burglars on camera. They are installing hidden minicams inside ordinary homes, which record the thieves in action. They call them 'capture houses', Nottingham's new weapon in the fight against crime. But is this new technology as reliable as the police think? And should the police be allowed to set traps for burglars?

Part of the Modern Crime season, this gripping documentary takes viewers to the frontline of a surburban crime-wave, witnessing first-hand the cat-and-mouse battle currently being played out across Nottingham. The film shows heart-stopping footage of burglars breaking into homes, and follows the intelligence and burglary teams as they hunt the burglars down. And cameras are there in the interview room as the burglar is shown the damning footage. Many burglars protest their innocence at first, but once they see the capture house footage, the game is up.

Not sure if you can use BBC iPlayer outside the US but here's the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b019gb3t/Burglar_in_the_House/

I expect it'll appear via other sources soon as well in the same way Top Gear does.

Not sure if you can use BBC iPlayer outside the US but here's the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b019gb3t/Burglar_in_the_House/

I expect it'll appear via other sources soon as well in the same way Top Gear does.

"Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only"

They might as well just shut their public website down .. since they suck that much.

They might as well just shut their public website down .. since they suck that much.

Agreed. That's really weak.

What a shame you guys outside UK can't see the BBC I player. It was one of the most interesting things I've seen in a LONG time.

In one scene the suspect is being arrested on the street and receives a phone call from his girlfriend trying to tell him police are looking for him TOO BLOOMING LATE DARLIN' :lol:

I have to say that there was one suspect that they could not prove beyond a doubt because of the absence of the smart water on his clothes or body. In such circumstances, I would rather see the suspect given the benefit of the doubt rather than convict him on the incomplete evidence. The other circumstance was that his record of crime was very petty crime like shop lifting and it couldn't be shown that he is a prolific burglar. Yes it could have been his first burglary but then if it were it'll have scared the living cr@p out of him and it will probably be a long while before he tries it again.

No conviction, but perhaps still a result don't you think.

The BBC do that because they want to sell the program to other television networks, Would you buy something that is freely available no charge? There must be a way around it ?

From what n-n said BBC might consider that theft and as we know the brits like to try sue people .. almost as much as the yanks

course if they tried to sue anyone in this country for copyright infringement then they would need to get in a long line to never gonna happen - pirated DVD sales here on every corner and even the brick and mortar video stores are loaded down with them.

From what n-n said BBC might consider that theft and as we know the brits like to try sue people .. almost as much as the yanks

course if they tried to sue anyone in this country for copyright infringement then they would need to get in a long line to never gonna happen - pirated DVD sales here on every corner and even the brick and mortar video stores are loaded down with them.

Perfect! Record it and shoot a copy to Rory

(the above is tongue-in-cheek, so all of you BBC/SOPA/MPAA/RIAA goons can sit down)

brilliant, that!

i like the guy who points to the camera. just like the guy who put his face right up to the lens of my camera before bouncing a brick off it

this programe is quite interesting too.

Agreed. That's really weak.

The bbc also do it because it is not funded by advertising revenue. There are no adverts/commercials at all on BBC. It is funded by the TV license we pay in the UK, which is why the i-player programs are restricted to UK residents only. They do however sell programs outside the UK to other networks. Wildlife documentaries, Top Gear etc etc.

As for the smart water laptop, couldnt they just replace the water with concentrated sulphuric acid and just stop them permanently. Much cheaper.

The bbc also do it because it is not funded by advertising revenue. There are no adverts/commercials at all on BBC. It is funded by the TV license we pay in the UK, which is why the i-player programs are restricted to UK residents only. They do however sell programs outside the UK to other networks. Wildlife documentaries, Top Gear etc etc.

As for the smart water laptop, couldnt they just replace the water with concentrated sulphuric acid and just stop them permanently. Much cheaper.

Is there a way for people outside the UK to subscribe?

I'd think with as far-flung at the British Empire once was (and in some ways still is), there would be a market for something like that.

EDIT: ************

There might not be a lot of takers over here in the Colonies, but still...

You may be able to route through a proxy based in the UK possibly? I havent tried accessing it from outside the UK to see if there is a way round it - Im sure there would be somewhere, but its probably not legal.

Its actually a bit of a paradox, because if I want to watch the Iplayer while Im out of the country, I can't, yet Im paying for it as a UK resident. Im surprised in the age of taking legal action over just about anything that somebody hasn't tried to sue the BBC for denying them access to Easteneders while they are on holiday.

You may be able to route through a proxy based in the UK possibly? I havent tried accessing it from outside the UK to see if there is a way round it - Im sure there would be somewhere, but its probably not legal.

Its actually a bit of a paradox, because if I want to watch the Iplayer while Im out of the country, I can't, yet Im paying for it as a UK resident. Im surprised in the age of taking legal action over just about anything that somebody hasn't tried to sue the BBC for denying them access to Easteneders while they are on holiday.

I have a client that uses Slingbox, has one here and one in the UK .. so she can watch it on her iPad or PC on either end .. so when she is here, she can watch her UK shows and even control her TV.

For the record, the americans do the same thing to everyone else

We cant even legally subscribe to Direct TV or Dish ...

How I would love to be able to use Netflix and get unlimited movies for $8 a month.

One of the few US News Media we can stream internationally is Fox News.

Apple TV is one of the only devices that works outside the US but I think it still requires a US address.

You may be able to route through a proxy based in the UK possibly?

Oh yes proxy will work but free ones are slow slow slow ..

If using TOR you wont have flash so ...

I have clients that use Anonymizer to watch US TV ...

but they also have US Credit Cards and Addresses.

Also not sure that would work for the UK.

What a shame you guys outside UK can't see the BBC I player. It was one of the most interesting things I've seen in a LONG time.

In one scene the suspect is being arrested on the street and receives a phone call from his girlfriend trying to tell him police are looking for him TOO BLOOMING LATE DARLIN' :lol:

I have to say that there was one suspect that they could not prove beyond a doubt because of the absence of the smart water on his clothes or body. In such circumstances, I would rather see the suspect given the benefit of the doubt rather than convict him on the incomplete evidence. The other circumstance was that his record of crime was very petty crime like shop lifting and it couldn't be shown that he is a prolific burglar. Yes it could have been his first burglary but then if it were it'll have scared the living cr@p out of him and it will probably be a long while before he tries it again.

No conviction, but perhaps still a result don't you think.

The BBC do that because they want to sell the program to other television networks, Would you buy something that is freely available no charge? There must be a way around it ?

http://www.unblock-us.com/?v=2 works great

Okay you guys in the US and overseas, now you can enjoy tV on Iplayer I hope you've got thee URL of BBC iplayer and the link to allow you to view it via some sort of proxy. Believe me it'll be worth you time and the viewer is free for a week too.