#40fAN

Capturing Video/Audio Without A Lot Of CPU Usage

I have a small security system set up at my home. I currently have the cameras running through two ConvertX PX-AV100U conveters.

I can record the video using a number of software programs, but they all hog up the CPU. My question is, is there anything out there that will record constantly but not use all of the CPU? I do have each camera on a separate PC so it isn't the combination of the two that is causing my problem.

Appreciate any feedback.

Well, it is a rule of thumb if that using a PC as a DVR, you need to leave that PC as a DVR and nothing else.

Your solution is to get a DVR card, reliable name brand one.

depends on the CPU speed, motherboard, ram, video processor, ect. 75% on what you have is not bad if your using it for "just" video. as you increase any of the above things always get better. and another factor is the video card/software settings; frame rates, bytes per frame, motion detection, "record always", and more. you can adjust these settings, if you have any, dow to the lowest which will improve your CPU usage but will also lower your video quality. and check your BIOS to see if you have shared video memory becasue if you do you are sharing that will take away from your onboard ram.........

herm is correct on the rule of thumb...........................because a Server is a Server, not a PC/client. But, some like to use a Server as a PC which creates all sorts of problems that a PC/Client runs into. ie..........spyware stuff, virus, program crash, eves dropping, intrusion, and the list goes on.

Where you run into probs is when you attempt to manipulate the video. copy clips, edit clips, ect. Your CPU jumps to 100% real fast when you try to go there. I normally shoot for running/building my Servers to run at 40 - 55% @ 16 camera's recording so that I have some overhead to run for the video editing stuff. Works very good.

There are some decent WEB sites out there that help you streamline your PC by removing unneeded programs running. Do a search and start there if your interested.

and a stand alone is a computer. Difference is it only does one thing well. and there are so many different software programs being upgraded by so many different software skilled geeks that you really need to know what you are after before you buy.

in general, a different card will not help. look at your settings to improve or upgrade RAM, CPU, motherboard.

Streaming 16 cameras from a remote location im using 50-70% it gets higher when i do something else, or stays even around 40-50% when just the remote video window is open ... Just FYIs.

If you use a good hardware compression DVR board your CPU usage will be around 5% to 10%. It's gonna ost you more though.

If you use a good hardware compression DVR board your CPU usage will be around 5% to 10%. It's gonna ost you more though.

foe real

Quite a few of them have hardware compression cards just ask for it. Geo has one also.

It was the ConvertX video converter. I bought a Camera Mate from Radio Shack and am now using 15-20% CPU.

I'm going to catch myself a thieving paper boy soon....stay tuned.

I have a PC with a DVR card. The CPU is running at between 80-95%, although I am running WinMX (file sharing software) on it as well!!! (over the net).

The DVR card is an Anykeeper with Kodicom software. All the cameras are on motion detection recording (no recording unless something is happening).

My opinion is that providing the CPU is not overheating, then it should be ok at 90% useage. The HDD is the mechanical part which wears out. Having a HDD constantly reading/writing will reduce it's life. A CPU has no moving parts so it should be ok.

Matt