Sign in to follow this  
jmolli

Vivotek FD8134 Video Quality

I just got a Vivotek FD8134 megapixal camera and I am quite disappointed in the quality of the video. It is heavily pixilated and "shimmering" even in strong lighting and is not much better than my cheap D-link 942L that I picked up at Staples for $127. I am at max 1280x800 resolution with quality set to Excellent and the video quality is faaaaaaaar from HD. I've tried other resolutions and streams but all show pixilation and "shimmering" in the images. I am using an old Dell 2.8ghz P4 with 4GB of Ram and a discrete video card with 256MB of ram. But the PC shouldn't matter as I am not recording. I am just viewing the live image in a browser window after I log into the camera.

Two other odd things:

1) I had to select "Mirror Image" in the camera setup menus to get the correct orientation on the image.

2) The light sensor is at the bottom of the lens when I angled it down from vertical (the lens was vertical out of the box). Which is 180 degrees opposite of what is shown in the diagrams in the manual (light sensor is shown on top of the lens when cam is on its base on a table top).

It sure seems like a manufacturing issue. Anyone have any experience with this camera?

John

I just got a Vivotek FD8134 megapixal camera and I am quite disappointed in the quality of the video. It is heavily pixilated and "shimmering" even in strong lighting and is not much better than my cheap D-link 942L that I picked up at Staples for $127. I am at max 1280x800 resolution with quality set to Excellent and the video quality is faaaaaaaar from HD. I've tried other resolutions and streams but all show pixilation and "shimmering" in the images. I am using an old Dell 2.8ghz P4 with 4GB of Ram and a discrete video card with 256MB of ram. But the PC shouldn't matter as I am not recording. I am just viewing the live image in a browser window after I log into the camera.

Two other odd things:

1) I had to select "Mirror Image" in the camera setup menus to get the correct orientation on the image.

2) The light sensor is at the bottom of the lens when I angled it down from vertical (the lens was vertical out of the box). Which is 180 degrees opposite of what is shown in the diagrams in the manual (light sensor is shown on top of the lens when cam is on its base on a table top).

It sure seems like a manufacturing issue. Anyone have any experience with this camera?

John

It turns out that there is no problem with the camera. I added the EMF choke to the input cable bundle, rotated the camera so the light sensor was on top, unclicked the flip and mirror image settings and snapped the cover back on and presto, beautiful HD video! Not sure which of the changes made the difference (maybe the choke), but I'm pretty happy with the 8134 now.

John