AMI

I-View vs Geovision vs Digiflower

Ok here goes, I'm building my first system and I am stuck on what DVR to buy.

The end user likes the Digiflower interface. They were really impressed by the timeline at the bottom that shows when the system recorded data. Unfortunately I wasn’t entirely impressed with the software as a whole.

I was set on the I-View software, but have heard it is quite a bit less user friendly. I did really like the remote viewing demo.

I’ve heard great things about Geovision but for what I am looking for, it’s a good $200 more.

I was told that the timeline is a feature in many of the cheaper software/dvr setups but not in the more expensive ones, seems kind of stupid to me since it really is a good feature.

I need a software suite that is fairly user friendly. This particular end user is in her 60s and only uses a computer to collect dust. Rumor has it she cant has trouble remembering how to operate her TV.

The timeline feature would be nice but isn’t necessary. Good remote access is an absolute must! I need to see it as if I were sitting down at the very same desk. I don’t have time to sit in their office 24/7 but I do have an extra monitor here that I could throw the live view on.

Quite honestly if I could set it up to send me a text message when there was motion or something of that nature after hours that would be really neat too.

I’m thinking the Geo GV-800 will get the job done nicely, but since I have never physically used any software but Digiflower I would love some advice.

Regards

AMI

The Iview is the best ive seen for remote video, using the manufacturers software. It is actually easier to use than the others, very simple in fact, just doesnt have the playback features, meaning its not as complicated. One job i have them on is 2 stores, the owner views both stores through a VPN in the remote video software from his office in the main store, in a multi site multi view, and leaves it running mostly all day long.

Ive almost got this Iview demo set back up, just gotta grab a network card tonight from someone ... will let you know when its on.

One thing, the Geo is more complicated, but both the Iview and the Geo you can set up a user with limited use, leave that in full screen and they can just click on cameras and click back to multi view, so that pretty much leaves it like a normal type CCTV view. Digiflower is a pain to set up users and user levels, the remote video itself needs seperate users set up, i hate it!

Thanks again

Is the I-View easy to go back and watch a range of footage? That is the important part.

She needs to be able to go back and watch a selected range of time to check in on her employees while she is out. They are a fairly lazy bunch and like to sit on their backsides if she isnt around.

Theft isnt an issue because it rarely happens, and when it does, nothing is ever done about it.

got my DVR board and software about a week ago and hooked up this old B&W pile of crap I have here

its AWESOME

This software is FAR more then I expected and was worth every penny

If anything beats Geo I would be amazed

Does anyone have any new input on this topic? Also, what about the "Eyemax" systems. I've seen a few of these out in the feild recently.

I've used a number of Geo systems and have been happy with them. Aside from a somewhat "antiquated" looking interface, they seem to be stable and work as advertized.

I'm not really looking to switch unless there is a clear benefit in doing so. I guess what I'm asking is: Is there an all around, all-purpose PC-based DVR that people have found to be "the best"?

We used to use Eyemax (Unix CCTV is the distributer.) They are at a really good price point. However, Eyemax is having problems with their boards recently. If I were you, I'd stay away until they get their problems resolved. My friend installs Eyemax (Unix CCTV) for his company. Put in 5 last week, pulled the same 5 this week. Not kidding.

my friend had similar problems with the Eclipse PC systems, they only seem to work on windows 2000 as on XP you get an error, they lock you out of the bios (easy fix I know) and dont send any of the software that comes on it, also once you open the PC the warranty is voided! They have so many different boards and software for each different board, its just a mess.

And the Linux PC version is too overpriced for what it is...

ive been testing it and though its okay and well very very basic, just should be 1/2 the price.

Im happy with the Geo for now, especially since i dont have to use the antique interface

I have good experience in digiflower cards & software and i like the interface.I had some compatibility problems with some hardware parts but with the latest software versions its getting better & better.

Below 8 inputs almost any mid range computer can run it flawlessly,above 8 you need a good computer and above 16...hi spec super computer.The remote viewing is good and you can remotely playback the videos although i havent manage to do so with more than 1 cam.

Generally its good but not the best,it needs more development but you may want to give it a try.

intel 915 and above mb

p4 3.4 fsb800->

at least 512ram

atix550 256ram->

sata 7200 8mb cache 200gb and above,raid would be better or raptors.

And a couple of system fans for good airflow.

these are the minimum for a rock stable system.

intel 915 and above mb

p4 3.4 fsb800->

at least 512ram

atix550 256ram->

sata 7200 8mb cache 200gb and above,raid would be better or raptors.

And a couple of system fans for good airflow.

these are the minimum for a rock stable system.

Okay I was thinking maybe a Cray. A good SATA usually has a 16 MB buffer. The new Western Digital 400 GB SATA as a top performer now for 7200 Rpm Drive. Prior to that it was the 500 GB Hitachi. The Hitachi gets very hot though I would not buy another one.

I like those raptors but you still have to pay a pretty hefty premium.

You are right rory,but software and configuration is not that much of a problem, you can always figure it out after spending some time with it.

If you don't have the compatible hardware then its more time-consuming to find wich part is not the suitable.