Sign in to follow this  
Mrcarcrazy

Hello from Texas.

First I'd like to say thank you to whoever made this forum. It has been a great resource for me to search through for the past few months on and off. I've made my first purchase, and I'm stoked to get it in and start fiddling with it to figure out what is what.

I'm a DIYer. I have a Qvis Zeus 8 and two CNB VCM-24VF's on order from Nelly Surplus (huge thank you to Sean H on this forum for all his help the past few days). I'm planning on between 6 and 8 cameras eventually. I have read thread after thread raving about the CNB VCM-24VF being a bang for the buck camera...now I just have to figure out how it all works, and get my placement right. First Camera will cover the front door. Second either the garage or the back doors.

Anyway, great forum you guys have here...glad I found it!

Here's a Day and night shot of the camera over my front door. It will show anyone walking up to the door. Motion activated recording is my plan. Will block the street from activating the camera, as I don't want a shot of every car that goes by. I haven't adjusted/focused the camera...as I really do need to read a little more so I don't screw anything up.

these shots are just screen captures from my phone, so only @ CIF resolution. But you get the idea I suspect.

photo(41).JPG.d46e984c06f51e276990c3c4bd0a7308.JPG

photo(40).JPG.6d2ef9097bb5662f132e1c55b4b98314.JPG

Looking good! Thanks for the pics, have any video from the dvr itself? I have a couple of the same cameras and an 8ch apollo dvr on order from Sean as well. Picture quality looks very good! Can't wait to get mine.

Jason

Looking good! Thanks for the pics, have any video from the dvr itself? I have a couple of the same cameras and an 8ch apollo dvr on order from Sean as well. Picture quality looks very good! Can't wait to get mine.

Jason

Not as of yet I do not. I'm hoping to get #2 installed tonight after work....then I'll be able to get some video. (the learning curve has been interesting for me.) I'll be curious to compare your pics with mine though...as I have the Zeus (cheaped out a bit on that I suppose) so I'm Curious to see the difference.

I tend to get excited and overdue projects like this O.o... who doesn't right? My wife is already irritated that I've spent like 1200 on equipment. I have three of the CNB domes and a Costar PTZ with heated enclosure on the way. I've already ran the wiring to the 4 camera locations, just need equipment to install! Should be here Friday

Jason

My project: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29296

Looks good, as a DIYer I've used many CNBs as well, they really are great for the cost.

One thing, maybe check your focus at night, it seems maybe its not quite 100%. With this camera it shouldn't shift much at all, but I always like to check at night when possible. Also, I might tighten up the shot a bit if you don't care about getting a "what going on" view on the road. Finally, I'm guessing the slight circular glare on the night image is from a nearby porch-light?

Yeah, I haven't adjusted that camera at all. I only have a cpl hours after work each day to do this. so it's taken me all week to get these two cams installed. I'll get to adjust it tonight possibly. but you are 100% correct, it needs it! And yeah that is from a porch light. I have one on each side of my front doors (double doors).

Here's a screenshot of cam 2 this AM, it is covering the front entrance as well as two windows which are not covered from cam 1.

I did tinker w/ the Focus on cam 2 as it was amazingly blurry last night when I installed it.

Question - on the VCM-24VF, the focus screw and the wide/tele screw. I got the focus to work, but couldn't see the other one doing anything...it is supposed to zoom in/out right? It did take a few times in/out of the focus screw before I noticed it doing anything, so maybe I wasn't patient enough?

photo(43).JPG.66d7ed621068f64d1a99bad096358093.JPG

Question - on the VCM-24VF, the focus screw and the wide/tele screw. I got the focus to work, but couldn't see the other one doing anything...it is supposed to zoom in/out right? It did take a few times in/out of the focus screw before I noticed it doing anything, so maybe I wasn't patient enough?

To answer my own question - if others get here later and are too dense to catch on like I am.

The sticks w/ slots in them are really just set screws...you loosen them, THEN you can adjust the focus and zoom. (Thanks Soundy)

oh and here's a night shot from last night on that camera...may have to tinker a bit, but this isn't bad IMO

1364631537_frontprofile.jpg.2dc462cfc88e7d45f4f7c791c28d3a91.jpg

I found an issue w/ my number 1 cam @ night. peoples faces were white out with little lines through them (aka not useful). I asked those with more knowledge than I...Decrease AGC. If you have a camera and lots of light near the camera, and lots or dark elsewhere turn AGC down or off.

Images of faces are now massively improved. I have enough light to still see my entire yard w/o AGC, but it is noticeably darker...but up close (where the camera is focused on anyhow) is much easier to see details.

Here's a visitor @ night. I'm pleased. she is looking straight ahead @ my step-son...who has the door open.

This is w/ AGC turned completely off. and speaking of one of the people w/ more knowledge than I...Rory!

front-night-ID.jpg.ecc22d53e98c57915977c6a60f603b2b.jpg

I'm rather pleased with it. As you can tell that's during the middle of the night...so my porch lights are doing their job (I added foil to the panes of glass facing the camera and it got rid of the glare noted at the beginning of the thread. )

I guess someone deleted Rory's post. strange.

At what height is the camera located?

Can you show some picture of the installation?

8'' if I had to guess.

see attached image.

installed.thumb.jpg.526d53b3a7c8a3b2fa835879493a398b.jpg