CoolDude

S-Video v Composite BNC

Is there any advantage to using the S-video connections to connect my Robot Multiplexer to the DVR and out of the DVR to my monitor instead of using the BNC composite connections?

I thought I read somewhere that the S-video was at a higher resolution.

Yes it will be slightly higher quality. You will definately notice a difference on the live CCTV monitor.

The ones i used were Rat Shack

Only real source we got down here ...

made a big difference though.

SVIDEO = avg. 400/ 420 horizontal lines of resolution,

Composite = 240/ 250 horizontal lines of resolution,

So if the image going in is from a hi resolution camera 400+ horizontal lines of resolution then there is certainly some benefit in using it for the connection to the DVR if it exists. And as Rory said you will notice the difference in the live picture.

DataAve's comment is good note, all cables are not created equal.

ya the difference is this.

To get video on to a composite it has to compress the signal so much until it can transmit the whole video spectrum over the standard composite video cable. Sacrificing video quality because when it gets to the monitor it has to be interpretted back to what it was at before it was compressed. And as we all know compressing and decoding and that whole cycle deminishes the quality.

Well svideo what it does is it seperates your chromonance and lumance and carrys them seperatly on your video cable. Therefore cuttting down on the decoding at the monitor.

Now if you can get component even better. But I wont even confuse you with that