I'm new to the cctv thing.. but how so? If this was used inside a closet or room where the dvr is I fail to see how it makes anything less secure.. should the cables just run through a hole in the wall? What has been defeated here?

I'm new to the cctv thing.. but how so? If this was used inside a closet or room where the dvr is I fail to see how it makes anything less secure.. should the cables just run through a hole in the wall? What has been defeated here?

if its used where the DVR is, you can just plug the cable right into the DVR.

The power plugs is more of the concern though, very simple to disable the cameras by accident.

If it is a cat5 balun to BNC plate then I could see the use.

if its used where the DVR is, you can just plug the cable right into the DVR.

The power plugs is more of the concern though, very simple to disable the cameras by accident.

If it is a cat5 balun to BNC plate then I could see the use.

The point of the wall plate is to make the install look better.. Who wants cables running right out of the dry wall? I don't.. I think it looks tacky. Telephone, cable, ethernet, fiber.. all of these use wall plates.. why shouldnt cctv? Maybe you like the look of holes in your walls.. I don't.

excableguy................ good find. but if they had made it with 4 baluns at rear it would be a good neat job

Thanks. I'm sure someone does or can make a custom one. Plenty of wholesale manufacturers out there that do that kind of work.

Looks like something meant to reside behind the DVR and send your various home runs out from there - short patch cables to the BNCs, and individual wall-wart power supplies that you can just plug in to the plate.

I can see it maybe being of interest to a DIYer at home, but honestly, I can't see ever using something like this in a professional install - it's less work and money to just pull the runs through the wall and terminate them at the DVR and power can.

The point of the wall plate is to make the install look better.. Who wants cables running right out of the dry wall? I don't.. I think it looks tacky. Telephone, cable, ethernet, fiber.. all of these use wall plates.. why shouldnt cctv? Maybe you like the look of holes in your walls.. I don't.

Well most jobs I do have brick walls, not drywall.

But you can buy wall plates to cover the hole and leave a big enough square area for the cables to come out, also something like that is useless when you have 40 cables coming through a hole HALF that size (on a job now).

You will have cables coming from the wall plate to the DVR anyway, so its the same thing, except now you have yet ANOTHER point of possible failure. There are many ways to fill in the spaces around cables, etc. This is not the answer.

Thanks. I'm sure someone does or can make a custom one.
The point of the wall plate is to make the install look better.. Who wants cables running right out of the dry wall?

thats the problem they have mist the point in the design of the plate. coax to plate ----- plate to coax ----- then to dvr.

lots of cable management that will hide coax.

if it was cat5 to balun BNC and power above then it has a market

The point of the wall plate is to make the install look better..

That's what something like this is good for:

182070_1.jpg

Telephone, cable, ethernet, fiber.. all of these use wall plates.. why shouldnt cctv?

That's done mainly so you can terminate a cable run (or many runs) without having something hooked up, and so you can quick-disconnect to move a device somewhere else. You're unlikely to be moving your DVR all over the house.

Thanks for your response. That's exactly what it would be used for is a diy'r. In a professional job in some data room or closet it's another thing to just run it through the wall.

Looks like something meant to reside behind the DVR and send your various home runs out from there - short patch cables to the BNCs, and individual wall-wart power supplies that you can just plug in to the plate.

I can see it maybe being of interest to a DIYer at home, but honestly, I can't see ever using something like this in a professional install - it's less work and money to just pull the runs through the wall and terminate them at the DVR and power can.

But you can buy wall plates to cover the hole and leave a big enough square area for the cables to come out, also something like that is useless when you have 40 cables coming through a hole HALF that size (on a job now).

You will have cables coming from the wall plate to the DVR anyway, so its the same thing, except now you have yet ANOTHER point of possible failure. There are many ways to fill in the spaces around cables, etc. This is not the answer.

Plus, Cat3, Cat5, and other such wires are easy to coil into a gang box, or push back into a wall gap... doing that with a bundle of RG-59 is not so easy. You'd have to cut the wires really short to minimize the amount that resides behind the plate, which makes them a lot harder to work on, and leaves you little extra in case something goes wrong.

Plus you have the power connectors - this setup is obviously designed to allow individual wall-wart adapters to simply plug directly in. It's not suitable if you're using a central power can.

Sorry, but something like this is just not practical for most installs.

Plus, Cat3, Cat5, and other such wires are easy to coil into a gang box, or push back into a wall gap... doing that with a bundle of RG-59 is not so easy. You'd have to cut the wires really short to minimize the amount that resides behind the plate, which makes them a lot harder to work on, and leaves you little extra in case something goes wrong.

Plus you have the power connectors - this setup is obviously designed to allow individual wall-wart adapters to simply plug directly in. It's not suitable if you're using a central power can.

Sorry, but something like this is just not practical for most installs.

I think you're right.. It looks like it was made to use with a "home surveillance kit."

I think you're right.. It looks like it was made to use with a "home surveillance kit."

Very likely - designed to go with the thin, flimsy cables provided with such kits.

On a similar note .. whats the most common way to mount heavy Altronix Power Supply boxes to drywall? Say if there is no wood inside it anywhere in the area where it needs to be mounted. Maybe toggle bolts? Was thinking about wall plugs but not sure they would be safe enough, this particular dry wall likes to crumble easily. Or is there some other trick you drywall pros use? My experience is mostly with cement block.

There have to be studs somewhere, whether wood or steel. I'd try to align the thing so screws on one side go into a stud, then use EZ-anchors to secure the other side.

If you need more support than that, put a piece of plywood across the studs, and mount to that.

I totally understand less connections. I'm a radio operator and if there is one thing I do understand it's the necessity for using the right coax and connectors. I cringe when I see people use lame coax or connectors in radio applications or even catv.. (i.e. pre-made walmart cables) and now cctv! I happen to use LDF-4-50a Heliax on my radio equipment at home.. of course it's 50ohm stuff but it's no joke. I still have a spool of orange RG-6 in the garage from doing cable tv. Less connections the better is very true!

I was recently given a home surveillance kit that was still in the box.. it's one of those aposonic 4 channel ones. It was never installed, still all in the box.. I laughed when I pulled the pre-made cables out of the box. I am one for doing things the right way, and also trying to maintain good looks too when I install something. I don't like my name branded on something that's poorly put together.

Thanks for all the good tips so far!

On a similar note .. whats the most common way to mount heavy Altronix Power Supply boxes to drywall? Say if there is no wood inside it anywhere in the area where it needs to be mounted. Maybe toggle bolts? Was thinking about wall plugs but not sure they would be safe enough, this particular dry wall likes to crumble easily. Or is there some other trick you drywall pros use? My experience is mostly with cement block.

Hanging something to drywall is all about surface area. I'm sure behind the drywall there are studs.. wood or metal. If what you're mounting is really heavy, it doesn't hurt to put a piece of plywood up on the wall first before you mount your shelving or device to that. It helps distribute weight among the wall.

There have to be studs somewhere, whether wood or steel. I'd try to align the thing so screws on one side go into a stud, then use EZ-anchors to secure the other side.

If you need more support than that, put a piece of plywood across the studs, and mount to that.

At about half way down the wall there is a piece of 1x6 or similar going horizontally across inside the wall, it is just flat against the drywall though, thats what they mounted the drywall too I imagine. From the ceiling I can see the metal grids every 16 inches or so across, instead of wood studs. It looks like they used this metal instead, in fact this is everywhere. Its thin sheet metal though, in a U shape. I guess I can mount to that, or like you said, put a piece of plywood and then mount to that instead. Thanks