cloudy

new home system?

Hello, Im new to this home security thing and as I am moving to the semi-country in a few months I think I will need some sort of home protection

I tried that SMS/MMS thing that i posted about, but it was a failure,

so now im wondering about a cheap DVR system like this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4CH-D1-H-264-HD-CIF-Standalone-DVR-Recorder-CCTV-Camera-Surveillance-8104-/250906513626?pt=AU_Security_Equipment&hash=item3a6b3190da

Ideally i want 2 cameras with decent resolution so the one above says D1 @ 50fps, so does that mean i can run 2 cameras at D1/ 25 fps?

also would some 540/600 line cameras be suitable?

thanks,

First, stick with a decent name brand that has a record of support. Find their web site, look at their software and firmware updates (there should be several versions available), and generally see if they seem reputable. Dahua gets good reviews here, and other vendors sell their DVRs under their own names.

Some DVRs let you split the total frame rate between the used channels, but many will limit you to 1/4 total frame rate per channel. That's enough for most uses, anyway.

For the cameras, specs don't usually tell the whole story, so read through the posts here and find affordable cameras that the users give good reviews to.

Cheap no-name ebay stuff often gets replaced after you spend a lot of time banging your head on it. Spend a little more, and save some time and money.

so now im wondering about a cheap DVR system like this

hi take a look at the guys feed back...... plus you will see he has not yet sold any DVRs. and there is a hard drive to also pay for. and the scam from ebay is if you fit it then you have no warranty.

by local if you can. and stick to a name brand.

the same unit is for sale by lots of different vendors, and mostly including HDD, some sellers in the states too,

for a camera, do i really need a adjustable zoom to frame the area more precisely? and will 500 or 600 lines be ok?

Read my thread because im building a system for my home and the questions your asking and will ask are already in that thread and answered.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29143

I've learned quickly, Home Video security REALLY is a "you get what you pay for"

I find it better to find your budget limit, and work it from there.