supratreo

GenIV 8LTA is a POS

so, now my 8LTA took a sh*t, well just the power supply. the problem is that the company no longer carries parts for this and its only 3 years old. they told me i could find a power supply online and splice my connector in since its a 4 pin connector. now i know what people mean when they say buy a product from a company that offers good support.

any ideas on where i can get a power supply, preferably with the connector i need.

182663_1.jpg

182663_2.jpg

thanks

Should be able to goto a local PC store and pick up a 12V 5A power supply for a laptop, and splice that into the end, if you need it up right away at least.

I'd rather rig something and have my cameras recording, but if you can wait might need to search ebay or something. Or post a message in the classifieds looking for either damaged GenIV 8LTA (to get the PSU from) or just the PSU. The title of this thread might not capture the right audience.

lol, thanks i'll post in the classifieds.

i was just mad because i've only had this for 3 years and they already discontinued parts. esp. something as simple as this.

I totally understand.

Living on this out island away from civilization though we get used to riggin things up

I prefer the right part though myself, I loose sleep if something isnt done right, or the best it can be. I cant even use 2 different connectors for say positive and negative, they have to be identical. I left a camera hanging today until tomorrow, as I didnt want to mount it without both sides having the same exact beanie (only had 1 on me today). Seriously, I would loose sleep

I chuckle, you have now jumped from a bad power supply to the entire company is terrible.

Just get another power supply, stagger the splices, put some heat shrink around each of them plus the overall cord and move on. Parts fail.

If I only had a dollar for each of the parts that have failed in the 25 years of business......

Not saying that the company is bad but discontinuing a part as simple as a PS? Really? When it failed I figured I could rig it but if all else failed I could get a new one from the manuf..... Guess not.

Also don't understand why they used a 4 pin connector when they could have used a very common single pin ( such as a laptop) connector.

If you go to ebay and search on PAA060F, you'll get a bunch of hits on this model. Most aren't clear about what the output pinout is, but many of them look pretty similar. Some have a simple barrel plug, but if you add CWT or Channel Well to the search you'll get some 4 pin models. Not too expensive, either.

Power supplies are a common point-of-failure in any electronic system.

To not have replacements available for purchase is completely unsatisfactory.