J-Telectro

Bosch Sens-up settings

I just got a Bosch LTC0495 with the Sens-up long shutter settings (x2-x10).

I've just started playing with this camera and wonder what settings everyone

uses. I'm really only interested in detecting people in the darker areas in my yard.

I'm getting a lot of hazy blurry images on moving objects with the setting at X4 or above.

Is this feature even worth messing with?

John

Above 2x only for detection. Not only interlaced video, but at 4x you are at 1-15s. We have some 495's and 620's that I never set above 2x. If you need more sensitivity try them with an f1.0 lens. I use one with a 13W CFL flood (I think, it's been a while) and it's plenty of light for the yard. If you just got them make sure the AGC has not been turned down also.

Sens-up aka frame integration.

If you want to get rid of blurry images, maybe try IR or more light in the area.

Above 2x only for detection. Not only interlaced video, but at 4x you are at 1-15s. We have some 495's and 620's that I never set above 2x. If you need more sensitivity try them with an f1.0 lens. I use one with a 13W CFL flood (I think, it's been a while) and it's plenty of light for the yard. If you just got them make sure the AGC has not been turned down also.

I currently have a Pentax 3-8mm F1.0 lens (not IR corrected). It's the only F1.0 lens that I have.

The current AGC settings are: ALC Level 0

MAXGAIN 20

ALC Speed Medium

Are you using yours in the color mode with the 13W floodlight?

Sens-up aka frame integration.

If you want to get rid of blurry images, maybe try IR or more light in the area.

I think I might need more light. I've only tried a couple of old color cameras and I still

am learning about the lighting and sensitivity.

With VideoCAD it is possible to simulate in 3D the motion blur in dependance of shutter time and velocities of objects.

See details: Video surveillance of moving objects

You can also measure real maximal exposure time of each sens-up mode using only an analog oscilloscope.

Thanks, I will try what you suggested. Using a scope will be interesting.

Sense up is AKA DSS ...

Slow blurry video

I would try to do without it

That's what I was wondering. Looks like it does wonders on still objects, but moving objects

look blurry and noisy. It sure makes the sensitivity look great until something moves.

When I look at some of the images that everyone posts the color images look great and it

doesn't seem like there is a lot of light available. I have a street light nearby (maybe 60 feet)

and my images look dark and noisy. Are the LTC0455 and LTC0495 lower in sensitivity than

the newer (cheaper) cameras or am I expecting too much?

Thanks for your patience!

John

compared to what? did you look at the rest of the settings? which mode are you in? The 495 can be beat by a few e.g. BBM-24F etc, but sacrifices will be made in other areas. If you are trying to get color try the 610, pretty amazing.

1241827576_495withIR.png.b0e0712f9569739b7517522258002ef5.png

555866664_LTC0620CFLlighting.jpg.2d22e0a3bc4e8289ab6b0693fea759af.jpg

255077321_495CFLlighting.jpg.bd6ccea8b9a14c15572a8a237405d5d4.jpg

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I should have been a little clearer with my question.

I am asking about the sensitivity in the color mode (forced-color only).

The LTC0495 works really well in the monochrome mode.

The Bosch cameras are the only modern cameras that I have so I don't

have anything to compare them to except for the pictures that I see posted

here on the forum. I am just wondering how they rate in the color mode in low

light. Some of the pictures Rory and others have posted look great and they

are from cameras that are less expensive.

Since I'm on a limited budget I'm just trying to do the best I can with the money

that I have available (all my Bosch cameras are used from commercial upgrades).

Just looking for feedback from the people on here that have experience with Bosch

vs some of the newer lower priced cameras.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

John

I'm not sure how much light Rory has in those color pics. You can do well with the CNB day/night 0.05lux rated cams if you have enough light and in color. Here's a pic 23W CFL ea side of garage. The 610 will do about the same, with a better pic. I think I got mine used around $75. With color it really comes down to the sensitivity and amount of light.

You can notice in this pic an RM100-10 IR on my lower leg, that is not being blocked completely by the IR filter in the camera. I actually had to turn down the AGC (TDN bullet CNB) in this case a to keep it from whiting out my face, black driveways are a pain...

That cam costs a bit though. There are other cameras with good sensitivity, I think I used to have a Nuvico that did OK. Cheap cams sometimes leave out the IR filter, which I'd guess helps also but screws up the colors.

Don't have much to offer in advice on cheap cams, although we have a couple of qsee bullets TDN that do OK. CNB will be better by at least 2x though.

1884600187_Picture25.png.2142082c78588b3a1de570e524de6a4e.png

Ok, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track for color cameras.

I had the cameras mounted in environmental housings and had them pointing out of a window

to test them. I thought that 2 layers of glass might be the problem.

When I took the LTC0455 out of the housing there was no change (picture was still dark and

really noisy). This particular camera is a Philips (pre Bosch).

I talked to a guy that used to install them and he said there had been upgrades and improvements

made to those cameras. I don't have a working Bosch 0455 but I do have both Bosch and Philips

versions of the LTC0355. When I compare the 0355s, the Philips is considerably worse than the Bosch

in low light situations. Maybe my 0455 is just an earlier version that is less sensitive.

I took the LTC0495 out of it's housing and tested it with Sensup off. Now it looks real similar to the

pictures I see posted on the forum

Maybe 1 bad camera and 1 bad housing?

John