methcat

cs mount lenses interchangeable

maybe a dumb question, i know they are for dslr type cameras, but if i have a bunch of cs mount 13vdir pelco lenses from some old analog 1390's can i use them on newer cs mount ip cameras?

thanks

maybe a dumb question, i know they are for dslr type cameras, but if i have a bunch of cs mount 13vdir pelco lenses from some old analog 1390's can i use them on newer cs mount ip cameras?

thanks

CS mount is CS mount, meaning they will always fit.

There are however a few things you need to keep in mind.

• Keep the sensor size in mind. A 2/3 lens on a 1/3 sensor will give different results then 1/3 on 1/3.
  • IP camera's come in all kinds of flavours. If you got a megapixel camera you will rather have megapixel suited lenses as they give off better results. Normal D1/4CIF sized IP camera's can use the same lenses as analog ones.

More info on lenses: http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/about_cameras/lens.htm

CS mount is CS mount, meaning they will always fit.

There are however a few things you need to keep in mind.

• Keep the sensor size in mind. A 2/3 lens on a 1/3 sensor will give different results then 1/3 on 1/3.
  • IP camera's come in all kinds of flavours. If you got a megapixel camera you will rather have megapixel suited lenses as they give off better results. Normal D1/4CIF sized IP camera's can use the same lenses as analog ones.

More info on lenses: http://www.axis.com/products/video/camera/about_cameras/lens.htm

thanks, great info. mine are 1/3 format, so i'll look into that. no idea how you match "resolution" on a lens though. not exactly a 1:1 for a pixel resolution/comparison.

guess you just have to take the mfg word for it...

Lenses don't have "resolution" in the same way a camera does... the closest relevant spec would be "resolving power" and it essentially refers to the overall optic quality of the lens. The reason for "megapixel" lenses is that most standard CCTV lenses are simply made to a lower level of quality... well... because they can be - the low-resolution sensors won't see the higher detail granted by higher-quality optics so there's no need for that extra expense. Megapixel lenses are designed and built to produce higher detail, and rated "in megapixels" as more of a reference to maximum resolution the camera can be before the lens's own deficiencies are noticeable, rather than a direct 1:1 pixel count.