z-man

Setting up a system and need some advise

I'm setting up a (hopefully) low cost system that will include about 7 wired cameras and 9 ip cameras. I'm thinking about using a NV6480EXP for the dvr card. My questions are

How many ip cameras can I run at once? The router I will be using (probably a Buffalo Technology WZR-HP-G300NH) will be flashed to DD-WRT and it says it supports 300 Mbps in wireless bandwidth, but I'm concerned that I may not be able to run 9 cameras at a good frame rate and resolution without running out of bandwidth.

Will the software that comes with the DVR card support that many ip cameras? It has plugins for 16 wired cameras, but I have no idea how that relates to ip cameras.

I plan on using low cost ip cameras specifically the Loftek sentinel pan tilt zoom cameras. I know it's cheap ($160 or so) but it's in my price range, and it's fairly well rated on amazon. Does anyone know if that camera will work with the software that comes with the NV6480EXP? Also does anyone have a suggestion for a better ip camera (I don't really have to have PTZ) that is in the $100-$150 price range?

Lastly I'm concerned about the distance from the router to some of the outlying IP cameras. DD-WRT supports using another router to extend the range of wireless networks, and there is a hop off point that I could put a router in and have it be out of the weather. The furthermost camera is about 250 ft away, but the building it will be in has a tin roof, and poor line of sight.

Thanks in advance for your help

I'm setting up a (hopefully) low cost system that will include about 7 wired cameras and 9 ip cameras. I'm thinking about using a NV6480EXP for the dvr card. My questions are

IP cameras should be wired as well, unless there's no possible way to get wire to them.

How many ip cameras can I run at once? The router I will be using (probably a Buffalo Technology WZR-HP-G300NH) will be flashed to DD-WRT and it says it supports 300 Mbps in wireless bandwidth, but I'm concerned that I may not be able to run 9 cameras at a good frame rate and resolution without running out of bandwidth.

WiFi cameras will probably only be 802.11g anyway, which is 54Mbps max... and they're probably only VGA resolution so you won't get anywhere near your bandwidth limit. A bigger concern is that your available speed will drop rapidly once you get to the edges of signal range, which could be as little as 20-30 feet depending on what's in between the camera and router.

The numbers may seem to add up here, but I predict you'll find it produces nothing but headaches.

I'm thinking about using a NV6480EXP for the dvr card

Hi. that card is no longer made . you can buy a hybrid unit for that price.

I plan on using low cost ip cameras specifically the Loftek sentinel pan tilt zoom cameras. I know it's cheap ($160 or so) but it's in my price range, and it's fairly well rated on amazon.

please dont its just a VGA camera with digital zoom (which is useless) and you will also find it is not supported by most hybrids (its not with the aver)

the forum has just helped you save $1000. with pointing out both of your products are not compatable.

it looks like you are looking for budget ip (network cameras) because of the distance ??? as you have only picked VGA cameras (for your ip) this can also waste your money .. as in building a network extra switchers.

it would be worth the money if you was going IP MP (1.3mp or above)

can you post a google image of the area you need to cover ..... it will make it easier for people to help.

are you in a location where you cant get a cable to each camera ??

Thank you for the information.

What is the difference between the NV6480EXP and a hybrid card? They seem to be close to the same price.

Ya the cameras are cheap, what would you suggest for a decent IP camera for between $100-$150. Pan tilt zoom is not really needed.

Unfortunately running wires is not possible for a myriad of reasons I've got to figure out a way to do this wirelessly, even if it's more expensive.

I don't really have a picture of the location, but I uploaded an artistically masterful representation of the location. Keep in mind that all of the buildings have tin roofs.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

map.thumb.gif.566a0a0dfc05622e0d44ed869d6aa14b.gif

What is the difference between the NV6480EXP and a hybrid card?

hi. the NV6480EXP is a hybrid card just that that card is no longer made. and you can get a hybrid standalone for the same price.

what would you suggest for a decent IP camera for between $100-$150.

you could just about get the avermedia 1.3mp for that price.

do you have any existing cables running between buildings ???? if you can find away of getting cat5 to each you will find its going to be alot cheaper than going wireless.

what is your budget.

Budget is around 5K. Yes there are wires ran between the buildings, but that is all buried in conduit, under asphalt. Even if I could run cat 5 threw the existing conduit, it would be running right beside power cables. I'm unfortunately fairly convinced that wireless is the only way it will work. Would it be possible to use non ip wireless cameras? Maybe 2.4 ghz models?

With existing wires between buildings, you do have the option to interconnect them - if you're using IP cameras, you can run all the cameras in a building into one central switch for that building, then network that building to the next using the existing wiring, if there's capacity there. There are adapters that will let you run network over a single coax cable, or over a single twisted pair.

The other option would be to use *proper* WiFi points (such as Ubiquiti Nanostations) to link between buildings - again, wire all the cameras into one switch in that building, then connect the WiFi units to that. Your network might then look something like this:

184251_1.jpg

Notice the network forms a full circle - this creates a redundant set of paths, so if one connection goes down, all the cameras can still communicate back to the head end (remember to use switches that support STP to avoid a network "feedback loop").

Does the $5k budget include cameras, or is that just to achieve the network? The Ubiquiti stuff isn't expensive, but this looks to be a lot of labour, and you're definitely not going to get quality cameras into that budget along with everything else (don't forget to include the cabling, switches, accessories, etc.).

Thank you very much for your reply. This was very informative. My only question is still, how many ip cameras can the avermedia card handle?

Also if I set it up like this, do you think it will preform adequately? I'd like at least 20 FPS from the cameras. I know it will likely be complex to setup, but I'm pretty handy with electronics and a quick study. Any tips you could give towards setting it up tho would be greatly appreciated.