Sign in to follow this  
dijsil

Recognising number plate?

There is no helping you my friend. These images lack the resolution to work with. With CIF the camera would have to be out by the street to even attempt to obtain a plate number. These shots appear to be from two floors or more up and a quite a distance with poor resolution. You will need a 2 megapixel or better IP camera with decent optics and zoom set for on the street (this means that will be all you can see on it) to have any hopes of getting a plate number. If you go the IP camera route, there is some excellent freeware software for windows that will actually take care of recording the number for you as well. For that matter, it will record every license number it reads for you and will snapshot the image it used for you as well. This particular software works well with IP cameras but is horrible with most local cams on DVR cards,

Yea I took a look too and it is simply waaayy to low-resolution to get the plate. That camera would need like 40mm+ lens to get into that area and see it well.

If you go the IP camera route, there is some excellent freeware software for windows that will actually take care of recording the number for you as well. For that matter, it will record every license number it reads for you and will snapshot the image it used for you as well.

What's the software you're referring to? I'm setting up a spare cam for some casual LPR tests, and was just going to record it with my standard NVR, but this would be useful.