jxk716

3xLogic analog PTZ Question

I am looking at a 16 channel Pro hybrid from 3xLogic; they are telling me I need a RS-485 converter to go from one of the server's USB ports to RS-485 so that my analog PTZ camera can work. The regional integrator for 3xLogic is telling me their converter is $215.

After a little research I found this:

184713_1.jpg

And would I need the item below to connect the data cables of two PTZ analog cams right?

184713_2.jpg

Both items I can get on amazon for about $90; am I missing something?

Hi. the problem with some of these convertors is some need drivers. and some come with auto detect.

we only use moxa never had a problem with them in the 5 years we have been using them.

also each moxa also has a detection light built in (tells you about the data) good for setting up. half the price of the links.

Moxa Uport 1130 USB-RS485/RS422

Moxa Uport 1130 USB-RS485/RS422 Converter - compatible with USB 2.0, software selectable RS-422, thomann 4-wire RS-485 and 2-wire RS-485, male DB9 and terminal block for easy wiring, up to 921.6kbps serial transmission, active (USB), TxD/RxD LEDs, built-in 15KV ESD protection.

232781-1.jpg

I've installed a bunch of Vigil DVRs that came with A-TEN UC232A adapters, those work great with both PTZs and POS connections. Frankly, I've only run into two PTZs that I couldn't control from a simple RS-232 serial port - one was an older Capture Fastrax II (a new Fastrax II on the same site works fine), the other was a Dynacolor-branded generic dome that defaults to Dyna's own protocol and won't even work work a Dynaguard DVR, so it may have other issues.

Depending on the particular DVR, it may have a rare on-board serial port and you won't need an adapter at all.

Google Shopping shows the UC232A going for anywhere from $16 to $74(!!)