z-man

Any advise on low cost ip cameras?

I need 9 relatively low costs ip cameras (no more than about $150.00) each. They will all be wired to a switch. They will also have to be compatible with an AVerMedia NV6480EXP. They will all be mounted under shelters, but will be exposed to wind/humidity, but not direct rain/water. They don't have to be super high quality 640X480 at around 20fps would be fine.

I've spent hours looking at cameras, and I can find some cameras that seem like they would be ok, but they don't show up on the comparability list for the 6480. I'm kinda at a loss right now.

They don't have to be super high quality 640X480 at around 20fps would be fine.

Hi with that res i would just use some CNB VBM 24VF.

for 640 x 480 and the switch and power for a IP so low in res analog will be cheaper for you.

I understand that analog would be cheaper, but I have to connect this system together wirelessly over some distance. With the number of cameras and they way it will all be connected, ip cameras seem like the best bet.

I understand that analog would be cheaper, but I have to connect this system together wirelessly over some distance. With the number of cameras and they way it will all be connected, ip cameras seem like the best bet.

hi. dont get wireless mixed up with IP.

ip cameras (no more than about $150.00) each. They will all be wired to a switch.

then these will not be wireless

but I have to connect this system together wirelessly over some distance.

can you not get cable to the locations at all ???

... but they don't show up on the comparability list for the 6480.

For a fact the Panasonic BL-C101A and BL-C140A work with my NV6240. I tell the card they are Panasonic BL-C10.

These are cheap cameras (the 101A is less than $100 on Amazon) that amaze me with what they do for the money. Biggest drawback is they have ZERO LOW LIGHT PERFORMANCE. If you can live with that, they are amazing cameras. The BL-C160A has LEDs on the front (visible light) for 'dark' scenes (I doubt it's worth it) . They will also remote view with Chrome (very easy with Chrome), FireFox and Safari. Internet Explorer works too but not as well as Chrome.

To Tom, yea I know it doesn't sound like they will be wireless, but they will be. Those switches will be wired into Ubiquiti Nanostations. Any suggestions you have as to wired ip (or cheap wireless) cameras would be appreciated.

NJD - Thank you this is exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for. As far as you know, will those cameras hold up in damp conditions? They won't be in direct weather, but will be under pretty much open shelters. Also "some" low light performance would be nice. These are very close to what I was looking for tho and I really appreciate your time.

As far as you know, will those cameras hold up in damp conditions? They won't be in direct weather, but will be under pretty much open shelters. Also "some" low light performance would be nice. These are very close to what I was looking for tho and I really appreciate your time.

The BL C140 and BL C160 are 'outdoor' cameras. Under the eaves, don't hit with a hose probably OK. Mine are in a barn.

As far as low light, try a BL C101 and see if it's for you. Amazon will take it back but I'll bet you keep it. I guarantee you will find some place to put it. The 101, 140 and 160 are the same electronics as far as I can tell.

As an example - if you have enough light to read a newspaper headline but not the body of the article these cameras will give you an image but it will be rather 'noisy' - lots of 'graininess' to it. Your dark adapted eyes can see much better than these cameras.

I have a Pany Cl 121 and it is a terrible low light camera. It is not a true Day/night camera and struggles with images in a room during the day if the shades are down. I can't imagine that any of those Pany cube cameras would do well in low light.

I've got a set of 5 Panasonic C140A's and 4 C101A's, and for the price, I'm happy with them. I got them on sale at amazon, about $125 for the C140A's and $55 for the C101A's.

For a few of the cameras, I've also got motion sensor flood lights set up so I can get a decent image at night. With just street lights, it's not enough. Even with the flood lights it's a bit grainy, but ok for me.

I've got it set up to ftp images on motion detection, and keep a monitor up with a real-time feed for all 9.

They use a proprietary POE device, and I think it's important to use good quality cat5e cable. At first I bought some cheap cat5e cable and found the POE didn't work so well. I discovered that 2 of the pairs weren't actually copper. So I had to have the cable ripped out of the walls and conduit and replaced. With good quality cable it works fine.