SpyGuy10

Auto-Iris Lens Connector Pin-Outs: Not standard?

I am replacing a Panasonic analog box camera that failed due to a fire ant infestation within the camera body. As far as I know, the CS-mount lens (model: WV-LZ81/6A) is still functional, although I don't have another camera to test it. This appears to be a quality lens and I see no reason to replace it, even if I upgrade the cam body to a megapixel hybrid IP/analog camera. My concern is whether the auto-iris lens connection will be compatible with the new camera. I would have thought that this would be an industry standard, but I'm not so sure. Part of the problem is I cannot find any documentation for this Panasonic lens that states what the signal wires are or how to identify them. When I search Panasonic's web support, I can only find manuals (well, actually just two page scans) for their WV-LZ81/10 or WV-LZ83/6. Those would probably be close enough, but neither document has the needed information: both documents simply state:

How to install the automatic iris zoom lens

(1) Make sure that the lens selection switch is set to DC position (for same other models, set the lens selection switch (LENS, STD/OPTION) to STD position).

[Note: They are referring to a switch on the back of the camera body, not on the lens itself.]

In another Panasonic document (a spec sheet for one of their cameras), it shows a list of lenses as optional accessories. The list includes:

- WV-LZ81/6A (NTSC)

- WV-LZ81/6 (PAL)

Why would the camera's video format affect the lens? The following provides a clue. In an operation manual for a Panasonic box camera, it states:

Installation of Auto Iris Lens Connector

Install the lens connector when using a video drive ALC lens.

(1) Cut the iris control cable at the edge of the lens connector to remove the existing lense connector and then remove the outer cable cover as shown in the diagram below.

The pin assignment of the lens connector is as follows:

Pin 1: Power source; +9V DC, 50mA max.

Pin 2: Not used

Pin 3: Video signal; 1.3 V[p-p]/40 kOhms

Pin 4: Shield, ground

(2) After connection, assemble the lens connector.

So apparently the lens takes the video signal and uses that to control the auto iris (explaining why there are two versions of the lens: one for NTSC and one for PAL). But the instructions give no clue as to how to identify the wires inside the lens cable for connecting to the pins. At this point I'm still hoping that all lenses and camera bodies adhere to some industry pin-out standard. (But then why would the Panasonic camera manual give instructions to cut off the old connector and solder on a new one?)

Next I looked at the manual for the CNB IGP1030 hybrid box camera body (which I'm considering as a replacement). This shows the auto-iris connection pin assignment as:

Pin 1: Damping coil (-)

Pin 2: Damping coil (+)

Pin 3: Drive coil (+)

Pin 4: Drive coil (-)

Clearly, this is very different from the pin-outs for the Panasonic camera. I can always remove the existing connector on the lens, change the wire-to-pin connections, and put on new connector. But that won't help if the signals are not compatible.

Any advice on how to make this old Panasonic lens work with the new CNB camera? Or will we have to purchase a new lens?

See http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090411085814AAkeOll

What is the difference between DC auto iris and Video auto iris lenses?

The latter can be with built-in amplifier (so called video drive) or without amplifier (DC drive).

1.Video drive lens operates by the camera video output signal. It can be easily recognized because , comparing with DC drive, it has a 3 wires connection (video, power, ground). Its operation can be controlled by ALC and level potentiometers. The connector to the camera is normally not supplied with lens, because there is no internationally recognized standard on it and every single camera manufacturer can have a different standard.

2.DC Drive lens operates with 2 coils: driving coil is to move the open/close iris operation while damping coil is used to break iris movement (consider it as a reaction to driving coil operation), thus controlling the stability of iris movement. This lens has a 4 wires connection. Connector can be supplied with lens being a standard on most cameras. This lens is cheaper than the video drive type, lacking the built-in amplifier which is incorporated into the camera.

Video-drive lenses are rare these days - IF the camera supports it, there would be an option in its settings to select VIDEO instead of DC. I would guess that this camera has no such option.

Thanks Matt for raising me up out of my confusion.

So I guess the next step is to have the lens tested to make sure it's fully functional before basing a camera purchase decision on it. Or would you recommend just buying a new lens?

It seems a shame to scrap all this nice glass, but if it severly limits the choice of cameras and/or features (or forces the purchase of a significantly more expensive camera), then it may not be worth keeping.

So if the lens tests good and we decide to keep it, can you recommend some good box cameras (in the $100 to $300 price range) that would work with the video drive auto-iris? I'd primarily be interested in analog or hybrid, but would like to see what IP cams are available as well. Thanks!