Sign in to follow this  
graphicw

Kodicom KMC8416A

I am working on a KMC-8416A in combination with a KIO-1616. I would like to use all the functions that the 8416A has to offer. I have been able to get audio to work by connecting the first four pin connection to the Aux In on the sound card. I have been able to get my 16 channels of Video In and Video out to work from the top rear 34 Pin Header. What I have not yet figured out is the 26 pin front top header and the 2 pin connector at the back of the card. I am guessing that the two pin connector is possibly a reset. If that is the case, what would I wire this connector to? I did receive a cable for the connector, just not sure of where to wire it to. In order to best assist anybody willing to help me, I have included a picture for illustration showing what I already known about the card and the two ports I do not yet know the real purpose of.

I am pretty impressed with this card. I never realized that these older KMC actually had hardware compression. It was an unexpected treat to find that for sure. There were four Samsung RAM chips on the back of the card as well which I assume are for the video processiong functions of the card.

kmc8416a.gif.4024adf1ef1e295f7dd0658cef87368a.gif

I think I am going to take a picture of a KIO-1616 and do the same thing. Even if I do not learn what the other pin outs are for, I am sure some future visitor to the forums could use the illustrations if they ever end up installing one of these cards as I could not find this information anywhere on the web. It ended up being a case of following the traces on the board and trial and error before I got it right with what I know about the cards so far.

Since I cannot find anybody out there that knows for sure what the 26 pin header is for near the front top of the card, I have decided to take a different route on the install. I have opted to take a 32 pin ribbon cable with three ends to wire from the octoboard (the connection board for the two eight port video dongles) to the Kio-1616's 32 video input pins to the 32 video input pins on the 8416a. I am going stick with what I know for sure. Turns out the Kio1616 is only a two layer board, so I could follow the traces and find out all of it's functions even without a schematic. I have gotten the control and senor functions of the KIO-1616 wired up now and will get the video inputs wired in next once I get the cables so I can use the external monitor control features of the diginet software. This KIO-1616 is indeed a strange animal though, it does not have any kind of PCI interface chip like a PLX or similar type of bus control chip. The PCI bus is used mainly for a power source with very limited data sent over it. This card depends on a cable from the RS-232 port to a serial port for full functionality. That is where the real data work is done, via a serial connection. The only as three major components to worry about, an 8 bit Atmel microcontroller with 256 bytes of RAM, a crosspoint switch for video switch via a cd22m3494sq and 9 relays (8 of them for device control and 1 relay to act as a reset swtich). I will post pics of the KIO 1616 with all functions mapped out in the near future. I cannot figure out the 8416's so well because they are multilayer boards. I cannot see all the traces. I need a schematic to figure it out all the functions or someone who knows all the pinouts on the cards. I cannot find a manual or schematic for it, so for now, I am going to stick with what I know for sure about the card. As it stand, I have figured out the vast majority of the card and have the major functions working now.

I finally discovered the purpose of the 26 pin header on the 8416 series DVR cards. It is to allow a direct connection to the video card via a 26 pin ribbon cable. This is kown as VIP or video interface port. It was one of the major stand out features of the 8416 however video cards with this port are no longer common. Not a bad feature though to allow direct video transfer without using the PCI bus. The Kodicom advertised function of VIP was higher quality of video. Mystery solved. I hope that somebody has found this useful.