myplace46

Just found an old treasure...

Just found an old treasure...

I forgot I even had this. I bought it about 17 years ago when I was into videogaphy.

It allows you to check your cables for shorts, opens and continuity. comes in real handy

for testing all sorts of cables.186036_1.jpg

Just thought it'd be fun to share.

While I'm at it... thought I'd do a little survey.

In your man space, control room , computer room or whatever you call it, how many electric outlets

do you have and how many are being used?

I have 40.

30 in use all the time.

6 are blocked from use by wall-warts.

4 are free.

Cheers,

John

Looks like a cool device! I love this poll idea too.

Well, I have like 15 and maybe 12 are being used. Of course some are blocked by wall-warts too for phone, charger, cameras, etc, etc. Two separate 15A circuits (120V, USA).

I really wish we had 240v all over the house like the Europeans do! Twice the power on the same copper. Feels worse when ya complete it yourself though LOL.

5 outlets in the man cave at 120V including one dedicated 20 AMP circuit for the server. We ended up moving the server to another outlet so, on the dedicated, we have the cameras, DVR, proxy server (Windows PC), phone system, access control, a router and a few other low volt items. The receptacle for the server also houses 2 UPSs and an untangle server (windows PC)

Cave.jpg.5bf5497ffc6b2f8e5a590e25cc71a6b6.jpg

Thanks for the response, guys.

Yeah, I agree on the 240v birdman. would come in handy sometimes.

I ran two separate 120v 20amp circuits form the breaker box into my computer room

Plus the original 15amp from when the house was built. also running an UPS and 5 power strips.

Jason, is that a server rack I see in the background? I'd love to get my hands on one. Just don't want to

pay for it, though!

I really wish we had 240v all over the house like the Europeans do! Twice the power on the same copper. Feels worse when ya complete it yourself though LOL.

heh heh

heh heh

Yeah, heh heh yourself, think you're pretty smart, don't ya.

heh heh

Yeah, heh heh yourself, think you're pretty smart, don't ya.

yeah.

do you not get centre tapped 240V incoming in the US anyway so you have the option of 240 or 120?

Hi ljarrald,

Well yeah, kinda. Most of the household is run on 120-130v

If you have electric heat, that along with an elect cook stove and close dryer,

could all be 240v and like out it the shop things like my table-saw, mig welder and 5hp

commercial air compressor are all 240v.

Cheers,

do you have different types of... 'outlets' for 240 and 120V?

how is the incoming fused? is there a fuse on each 120 incoming?

center tapped sounds quite useful i guess, a sort of 'half way' between single phase and three phase i guess.

i only have single phase 240 in my house with a 100A service fuse.

Yes, definitely different outlets for 120 and 240!

our 240 is single phase also. three phase is only available in commercial areas because of the expense.

My house is over 60 years old so, the original wiring has been redone. I got the house in 06 and have done a lot of remodeling and rewiring myself.

the first thing I did when I bought the house was update the service to a 200amp box. For the 120v, some of the circuits are 15amp most are 20.

I ran two separate 240v lines to my shop into sub-panels with 20amp 120v and 50 amp 240v and 60amp 240v for my welder and lathe/milling machine.

Cheers,

ah, cool. what are the differences between the 120 and 240v outlets?

my house is over 150 years old, there are still some lead pipes under the floors and in the walls from when it had gas lighting!

in buildings with a three phase supply, does it come in 240V or 120V? if the latter, what happens if you want 240V?

its not unusual to find three phase in domestic properties here. although, most of the time even if the supply is three phase, only one phase is used.

Hey ljarrald, sorry to take so long to reply, been having issues with my computer.

That's pretty amazing about the history on your home! Wow, if only those walls could talk.

For our 120v household outlets, they pretty much look like this.

186948_1.jpg

We have several different styles of outlets for 240v depending on amperage and what appliance or machine is being used. here is a few examples.

186948_2.jpg

hope that helps.

Cheers,

PS. we even have a 208v standard for some commercial uses. Like my printing press at work, it uses 208v. Don't ask me why, I don't really know.

ah cool,

i think one of the advantages of your plugs is that they're 'flat', the cord is at the back rather than the bottom so if its laying on the floor... the pins don't stick up.

standing on an upturned UK plug is a horrible feeling!

this is what our sockets look like

186951_1.jpg

a clever student came up with this idea but it does not comply to regs because of something so it doesn't look like it will take off :'(

f6DvjKkGT6s

i won't even ask about your 208V... i think I've derailed this thread enough.

ah cool,

i think one of the advantages of your plugs is that they're 'flat', the cord is at the back rather than the bottom so if its laying on the floor... the pins don't stick up.

standing on an upturned UK plug is a horrible feeling!

that really made me laugh out loud!

The video shows a really cool idea for a plug, wish I had thought of that!