Doyletr

Does my graphics card matter?

I bought this cctv card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250996509288?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_697wt_907

and tried to install it on my computer, but the software wouldn't support win 7 so I had to use my old computer. It works fine on my old computer, however, that computer has a really old graphics card. Does this matter or does all the processing, recording, and everything else happen strictly through the cctv card? Basically I want to know if my graphics card has any effect on the video quality of the recordings.

Thank you.

Your display card has NO bearing on the quality of the recordings. It MAY limit how smooth the playback is, but that's all.

Ok thanks Soundy. I have it just saving files to a network storage so I can play back on my other computer. If it has no bearing on the recordings it should work great set up like this!

Graphics card wont matter much with this card. An old ATI 9250 or similar will work fine with this card. What software version came with your card?

I looked closer at the photo on E-bay, it came with version 7.05. You pay possibly have a clone of the GV-600 and therefore your card may not work with the newer versions of the Geovision software.

Yeah it wouldn't work with the newer version of the software. I tried it on a version compatible with windows 7 (i think it was 8.0 or something like that), but it wouldn't pick up the camera. It's a good thing I had a spare computer sitting around to install xp on for the 7.05 software.

I know from experience that it absolutely matters (on some DVR cards) depending on what DVR card you have. If you have a low-end DVR card, your onboard video should be enough. But most high-end professional DVR boards, hi-res cards, you HAVE to meet the system requirements from the manufacturer or the card will not work. I installed a hi-end Chance-i card in a customers system and it would not boot up no matter what we did. We used a hi-end GeForce video card, and it still wouldn't boot up. I finally called the manufacturer and they said that the card required a specific Raedon graphics card or it wouldn't work. Your operating system must also match the requirements. The card I had called for Windows 7 64-bit. It may even call for specific motherboards and chipsets, the Chance-i card called for Intel motherboard and chipset.

edit

By the way, I have a low-end Chance-i card installed on my DVR, with Intel motherboard, and onboard graphics card, and it runs great. I installed my customers hi-end card on my DVR, and it wouldn't boot up. I also tied a hi-end GeoVison card and it didn't work because my system didn't meet the requirements.