puckacostello

Wireless Or Wired IP camera?

I want to place an ip camera at the rear of my property and the wireless router is at the front of the property about a distance of around 12M, Would i be better hard wiring the camera or will it work with a wireless antenna ? I can pick up a strong signal from the router on my laptop at the location i would like the camera.

Thanks ,Shaun

I have wireless cam going about that distance going though 4 walls and partially blocked by a refrigerator and a steel medicine cabinet. All wireless cams are LAN wired too (for setup), so you can always go to wired if wireless doesn't work there. But since your laptop works there, it's a good chance the cam will too.

Most camaras that are wireless are VGA resolution, low end and have weak radios. Being able to pickup a signal with a laptop does not guarantee that it will work with a camera and not get dropouts. The downside to me of wireless is having to have an A/C outlet nearby, typically GFI because it's outdoors and you have that ugly wire and transformer. If you have to hire an electrician to put an outlet there, it may cost the same or less to put in an ethernet cable, use PoE for power and connection. I started the way you are going and was very dissapointed and now hardwire all my cameras in my house.

If wireless is your only option, then consider a 2.4Ghz wireless outdoor access point. This way you get a good WiFi radio and decent antenna that can be placed optimally instead of on the camera which may not be optimal for reception. Probably cost $50-80 for a Ubiquiti.

And when using wireless systems you always have to consider packet loss, wich can interfere if you are going to use a ptz camera.

I'd say only go wireless if you really can't use wired.