Mavrik

What balun do I need?

I want to run an IP cam over coax, what balun do I need? I got a couple of BNC to RS45 baluns labeled 'twisted pair' but these don't work at all.

You don't use a balun (so named because it converts between balanced and unbalanced lines); those are only for running composite signal over twisted pair.

You're looking for ethernet-over-coax or IP-over-coax adapters. Things like these:

http://www.altronix.com/p_php/specs.php?model_num=eBridge1CRT&sessUid=300&language=1&header=1

http://www.veracityglobal.com/products/ethernet-over-coax.aspx

http://www.divitex.com/analog-ip.php

http://gemelec.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=706&category_id=68&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

holy ssss those are expensive. I can buy a spool of cat5 cable for less.

What do I need to run several IP cams over one cat5 cable?

holy ssss those are expensive. I can buy a spool of cat5 cable for less.

Yeah... the cheapest ones you'll find go for a bit under $100/set... some of the spendier ones are up to $800/camera. They're great when it's not possible or practical to pull new cable, but not terribly cost effective just as a "quick upgrade".

There are some interesting variations... many of these will run power (PoE-spec or otherwise) over the coax, so you don't need separate power to the camera. And almost all of them will support runs of several hundred to a couple thousand meters, which is far beyond the normal ethernet limitation of 100m on UTP, so they can be useful as long-range extenders.

NVT has a model that instead of one pair per camera, can connect up to four cameras to one head-end unit... so for four cameras, you only need five modules: one at each camera, one at the DVR... AND they do power over the coax as well. But again, those are one of the more expensive models.

What do I need to run several IP cams over one cat5 cable?

Network switch. $20-$2000 depending on size and features.

Veracity makes one unit that combines a four-port switch and HIGHWIRE unit in one, so you can put a regular single HIGHWIRE at the DVR, and the four-channel unit at the remote end and plug up to four cameras into it, sending them all over a single coax.

Ya know, I will be swapping an outdoor, wall mounted analog camera for my first IP upon receiving a hybrid DVR. I am 90% sure there is Cat5 at the camera location (currently used for power) and RG-59 (not Siamese) for video. Both wires were run before the walls were sheet rocked so they are buried.

Do IP cams, in this case a VISIX VSX-2MP-VD, use all 4 pairs of the Cat5? I mean is there any chance I can grab an unused pair and connect it to the 24 VAC? Purchasing PoE or one of the IP over coax adapters may not be feasible at this time.

Or can I use a power over coax adapter to send the 24 VAC over the existing RG59; something like this?http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/video/interconnects/rf/me-vvl2122.html?key=A27&utm_source=google&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=ME-VVL2122&utm_campaign=Electronics+%3E+Electronics+Accessories+%3E+Cables+%3E+Audio+&+Video+Cables&utm_content=Marshall+Electronics

Edited by Guest

ethernet uses only 2 pairs, if you use POE the other 2 pairs are uses for poe.

it's not recommended to send 24vac and data on same line. it will probably work but def not the right way to do it.

you can get not-too-pricey POE injector and put it near the camera. that model you have there supports POE so that would be my personall preference if I were you.

you can get not-too-pricey POE injector and put it near the camera. that model you have there supports POE so that would be my personall preference if I were you.

Do you think this would work? I am open to suggestions.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATQU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004DR5D4O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HQ2H0CQ73NX9CR9GZ6J

Do you think this would work? I am open to suggestions.

That will work with that camera; however...

I am 90% sure there is Cat5 at the camera location (currently used for power)

You'll want to make sure of this, because Cat3 looks very similar, but using it for ethernet could be iffy (it SHOULD work in theory, but may be more susceptible to crosstalk and interference, which would manifest as network dropouts). If it IS Cat5, you're good to go with the PoE injector.

Or can I use a power over coax adapter to send the 24 VAC over the existing RG59; something like this?

There's nothing special about running power over coax; the point of this device is to combine power, video and audio all over one wire. If you're going to use the coax for power, just use it for power - center pin for +12V, shield for ground. Also...

VISIX VSX-2MP-VD

This camera doesn't support 24VAC - 12VDC or PoE only.

Thanks Soundy. Great info! I know it is cat 5 because I was there when they ran it and remember checking the wire.

For the price I am paying from the intergrator for a 8 port switch, I can get an 8 port PoE switch. Would something like this work with that camera and allow for more IP cameras down the line? I am looking at

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000ANF8FE/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1332699914&sr=8-4

Or should I go with a GB switch?

And, I'm confused. Acording to their web page the VSX 2MP VD accepts 24 VAC

http://www.3xlogic.com/prod/1617/vsx-2mp-vd-2-megapixel-indooroutdoor-vandal-dome-daynight-ip-camera

For the price I am paying from the intergrator for a 8 port switch, I can get an 8 port PoE switch. Would something like this work with that camera and allow for more IP cameras down the line?

Yep. ANY switch will let you add cameras, but if you can get a PoE one for a good price, that's preferable because then you don't need to get separate power to the cameras.

Or should I go with a GB switch?

The one we've been using mostly has eight 10/100 PoE ports and two gigabit ports - I plug the DVR and NAS into the gigabit ports so there's not a bottleneck funneling all those cameras into the machine. If you're thinking of adding more cameras later, might want to go at least partial gigabit so you have the capacity ready. This is the one we use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004496TFS/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1332704483&sr=8-1

And, I'm confused. Acording to their web page the VSX 2MP VD accepts 24 VAC

Hmm, my bad, I was thinking of the newer VSX-2MP-D2 models we've been using. Not that it matters if you're running PoE...

If you're going to use the coax for power, just use it for power - center pin for +12V, shield for ground.

So, just in case I can not buy the 8 port PoE with GB up-links, can the RG 59 accept 24 VAC? I have an altronix 16 chanel central power supply. This is just a back up plan in case I can't get the switch. Thanks, Soundy, you are and remain the best!

RG59 is just a pair of copper conductors; the only difference is that one of them is wrapped around the other, instead of them being twisted together or side-by-side. Using it for power is a little hokey, but there's no reason it won't work just fine.

If you're thinking about the Netgear switches, please do your homework.. I've got a 16 port smart switch (non-POE) in our garage and the power brick for it started misbehaving just after the warranty died and they wanted something like $35 for a replacement. They're notorious for supplying power bricks that are marginally capable IMHO as many people have been bitten by this issue from what I gather. When the power brick starts failing the switch resets itself once every few seconds -- really annoying.

In terms of POE injectors, I'm planning on using this one which is a passive POE injector (no handshaking is done to determine power requirements) which is OK IF you know what the power needs are for your particular devices.. I spoke with one of the guys over there just to be sure it would work for my application and the price is right at about $25.. but haven't tried it yet but will be this weekend.. As usual, the standard disclaimer -- I've got no interest in the above company, just a (hopefully) satisfied user. If you don't know the power requirements or have mixed needs, stick with a regular PoE injector or switch which will figure it out for you.

If you're thinking about the Netgear switches, please do your homework.. I've got a 16 port smart switch (non-POE) in our garage and the power brick for it started misbehaving just after the warranty died and they wanted something like $35 for a replacement. They're notorious for supplying power bricks that are marginally capable IMHO as many people have been bitten by this issue from what I gather. When the power brick starts failing the switch resets itself once every few seconds -- really annoying.

In terms of POE injectors, I'm planning on using this one which is a passive POE injector (no handshaking is done to determine power requirements) which is OK IF you know what the power needs are for your particular devices.. I spoke with one of the guys over there just to be sure it would work for my application and the price is right at about $25.. but haven't tried it yet but will be this weekend.. As usual, the standard disclaimer -- I've got no interest in the above company, just a (hopefully) satisfied user. If you don't know the power requirements or have mixed needs, stick with a regular PoE injector or switch which will figure it out for you.

That item you mention will probably work well for passive PoE devices (I may very well end up using something like it for Ubiquiti wireless gear), but keep in mind you will still need a 48 volt power supply to go with it, which raises your cost quite a bit. For single port PoE injection, I use Phihong injectors ( http://www.midspans.com), you can get them for about $20 USD or so.