ljarrald

box camera lens on a board camera?

i have a camera mounted on the house looking at my back gate which is about 6 meters away. it is zoomed right in but because the compression of my DVR is so rubbish, i would like it to be zoomed in more so i can get better shots of faces.

186607_1.jpg

186607_2.jpg

186607_3.jpg

the current lens in the camera is 12mm focal length. i am not aware of any auto iris lenses for board cameras with a higher focal lengh which means i will have to use the lens of a box camera.

i would use a box camera with lens but i don't really want a big housing hanging off my home.

i have a small(ish) housing that would fit a board camera and 'box lens' so basically i need a way of fitting a big CS mount lens onto the small thread of my board camera, and a way of connecting the iris.

is this even possible? if not, what do you suggest? i did think of using a camera that has digital zoom. but i don''t have one and don't want to shell out for one.

thanks in advance...

-luke

I don't think you'll have a lot of luck here - any such adapter would probably need to be an optical type (like, with a lens of its own) as the physical structure of such a thing would move the lens too far from the sensor to be able to focus. It would probably be easier to simply find a fixed-iris longer board lens - I have both 16mm and 25mm lenses in use on board cameras. It looks like this is in a shaded area so you should be able to get away with not having auto-iris.

ah, i feared that may be the case

fixed iris is last resort really, in the daytime the light level fluctuates quite a bit and at night time i will be using a floodlight so i don't think fixed iris will work

i think i may just have to resort to using a massive housing

186615_1.jpeg