jtetterton

Tap into video feed

I'm installing an analog system for a customer and he currently has a 2 channel CCTV system in place that has a very specific purpose and will not be removed. It does not record currently.

What I would like to do is simply splice into the video feed at each camera and use a T BNC connector or Y adapater with a balun and send the spliced signal off to the DVR. This should allow the current system to remain intact and operating and simply add a recording component off the new feed.

Will this work?

Thanks,

Jason

What would work BETTER, if the system layout allows, is to feed the cameras into the DVR, then chain them on to the original destination from there (assuming the DVR has pass-thru inputs). Inserting a T-connector will cause a drop in signal level and a corresponding (hopefully) slight drop in image quality... chaining through the DVR would allow it to maintain proper loading on the cameras.

I thought about that but the DVR is a good distance away from the cameras and the DVR I've already quoted does not have loop through.

Understood. Unless this is a particularly crappy system, splitting the feeds should cause only a very slight drop in the image.

jtetterton, see if it's possible to turn the termination on the customer's monitors off (or to Hi-Z). That way you'll have minimal signal loss.

Otherwise as Soundy says, you'll lose some of the signal, but could compensate by adjusting brightness and contrast a bit.

That's interesting. I could probably just tap power from the camera as well. Is that 12 volts?

hi. yes 12v or 24v 1in2 out from genie or qvis.

Coaxial Video Distributor

For connection to video cameras, multiplexers, DVRs etc.

Single video input to 2 video output distributor

Red LED - power on/power off

Made from black ABS

PSU and fixings included

Bandwidth, lower frequency - 10Hz

Bandwidth, upper frequency - 10MHz

Depth, external - 72mm

Input, video - 0.8 - 1.2V p-p

Length / Height, external - 32mm

Output, video - 1V p-p

Range - 300m

Voltage, supply AC - 24V ac