Sign in to follow this  
slackermt

Samsung SDE-4002

I'm considering purchasing a Samsung SDE-4002 from Amazon for $850. It gets decent reviews on their site, but I can't find many reviews elsewhere. Does anyone here have any experience with one of Samsung's consumer systems such as the SDE-4002? I don't really need good night vision, mainly want to keep an eye during the day of my kids playing outside if I happen to be inside.

Thanks Barry, it's definitely worth it for the extra safety, though we do live in what's considered a safe neighborhood (knock on wood). I just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

I'm considering purchasing a Samsung SDE-4002 from Amazon for $850.

hi. these samsung systems are RJ connection. you are best buying BNC systems. this then allows you to add or replace cameras without having to go back to samsung for there silly high price camera.

take alook around this site. (you will find you can build cheaper)

Hi, I am new on this forum and yours is the first post I've read. We bought the Samsung SDE-4002 almost a year ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. The system itself works fine but the dvr has a glitch where it shuts out incoming requests, so most of the time we are unable to view our cameras remotely, which is the whole reason we went with this system. We have spent (and are still spending) an inordinate amount of time with Samsung tech support on the phone and have sent the unit in for repair, all to no avail. They just keep taking us in circles. It appears to be a problem in the programming. So if remote viewing is important to you, I would suggest you look elsewhere. The Samsung tech support is not great and is unavailable evenings and weekends.

ps. I wanted to add, the dvr on this system is very loud. I don't have experience with other systems so I can't say how it compares but you won't want to locate this dvr where noise would be an issue.

Hi, I am new on this forum and yours is the first post I've read. We bought the Samsung SDE-4002 almost a year ago and have had nothing but trouble with it. The system itself works fine but the dvr has a glitch where it shuts out incoming requests, so most of the time we are unable to view our cameras remotely, which is the whole reason we went with this system. We have spent (and are still spending) an inordinate amount of time with Samsung tech support on the phone and have sent the unit in for repair, all to no avail. They just keep taking us in circles. It appears to be a problem in the programming. So if remote viewing is important to you, I would suggest you look elsewhere. The Samsung tech support is not great and is unavailable evenings and weekends.

ps. I wanted to add, the dvr on this system is very loud. I don't have experience with other systems so I can't say how it compares but you won't want to locate this dvr where noise would be an issue.

Wow, thanks for the info Oxford. Has Samsung given you any inclination as to whether the problem might get fixed with a software update? I really hate that, as I really want to get this. If you had to do it over again, what would you go with?

Hi Slackermt, I wish Samsung could give us some kind of clear idea what is going on and why. The tech support is frustrating, I don't think they know what the problem is or what to do about it. They have had us going around in circles doing the same things over and over (reinstall the software, etc). We have had 2 techs tell us that the problem was caused by us leaving the dvr in the box too long before it was set up and in use. They said electronics are made to be used right away and they "go bad" if you wait too long. (It took us a few months to get all the wiring routed and cameras installed). Seriously. Now they are telling us that it is actually a "security feature" and that the system is designed to shut out access if anyone stays logged in 'too long'- supposedly it is designed to do this in case someone unauthorized has logged in. I thought that was what passwords were for. So we are making sure we only log in briefly to check the cameras and log right out again. We'll see how this goes.

I think that the daytime camera quality is pretty good, really. At night it gets very grainy.

The sound that the dvr makes... I would compare it to having the kitchen vent hood running. On high.

I wanted to update this post. Samsung had us reinstall the dvr software last week and so far it is staying logged in, so I am getting hopeful that the problem is solved. Why it would take months and sending the dvr in for "repairs" twice before this was tried, I don't know, but we'll see if this does it.

Maybe the wrong forum for analog cameras. This is the IP cameras and by their nature, IP cameras can be accessed from anywhere. Samsung, from what I know is sort of a mid-level camera, not as bad as some chinese analog cameras you may see at Costco for $299 but not really much better. We briefly tried a $600 Samsung analog camera (just one camera) and it wasn't that good.