Sign in to follow this  
Neil-ipcctv

Access by Mobile device

Dear all,

Most NVR or IP camera manufacturers in this market have announced their own smart phone APP, by which user can access IP cameras or NVRs via cell phone.

However, I was wondering that if I can access IP cameras via iPhone without APP installed? Can I do that just through my iPhone’s Safari? I am not intended to install the surveillance APP in my iPhone.

Thank you for the help!

You can certainly do that for individual IP (non-analog) cameras but the problems come in when you've got multiple cameras -- how to tell it you want to monitor camera #1 vs #2.. In a setup like this there must be a webserver and I can't speak to how many NVR's have built-in web servers as that is likely to be some sort of mobile add-on/plugin (my hunch) that costs extra $$. I'd guess of the vendors that offer services like this, an app is required to communicate using a custom protocol/API between the mobile device and the 'service' hiding behind your router/firewall. These are my speculations and may not be correct but my hunch tells me that :

• They're not built-in for free
  • They do not natively have a generic web-server to be used with your favorite browser

Perhaps I'm completely off on these hunches but I'm sure someone else that knows better will chime in.