redavalanche

Guess this was not what I needed...

Bought this and it is OK during the day but I need to see at night. Been having my share of vandalism to my mailbox and front yard. Within 4 hours of installing this I was vandalized again. But I could not see anything because of its poor night vision. It is set up to send me emails when it detects motion.

I am happy with that part but does no good if you cant make out the pics. The police officer said that I should install a motion flood light to get a better picture for the camera. Will probably do that but wonder what else I can do. Is there a better IP camera?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Outdoor-Waterproof-IP-CCTV-Camera-Night-vision-IR-WIFI-36-LED-Network-/280828742824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4162b28ca8

nt2.jpg.a392f66bc098fe2faeeab4c82811fcb2.jpg

day1.jpg.0f84f24c2e062168f252fec424ea98cf.jpg

If by IP camera you mean one that requires a network video recorder... then I cannot afford that.

If there is not a camera that can send email pics upon motion activation then guess I need an inexpensive DVR with one good camera that can see into the night.

Need to be able to see the mailbox clearly. There is one light on the post out front that stays on all night. Not sure how much more light a "night vision" camera needs. Hate the idea of having flood lights going on and off a hundred times a night. Well, thanks for any help.

The camera is on the porch about 3 feet behind a screened wall. The front screen door aluminum frame in the night pic looks to be reflecting the red led's in the cameras "night vision". The only light that is on is the lamp post out front.

Could move the camera a little to the right but then it picks up movement of a flag outside on the wall and sends hundreds of motion activated emails. Not sure tweaking this camera any which way will improve the picture.

The first step is to eliminate obstructions from the field of view such as that screen door.

Yep. Consider mounting the camera outside the porch. But don't expect too much from a camera that produces motion blur even during the daytime...

If by IP camera you mean one that requires a network video recorder... then I cannot afford that.

If there is not a camera that can send email pics upon motion activation then guess I need an inexpensive DVR with one good camera that can see into the night.

Unfortunately, your main cost factor is going to come down to the quality of the camera, not how it connects or records. You're probably looking at spending AT LEAST twice as much for a camera that will do what you need... and that's without a recorder.

Need to be able to see the mailbox clearly. There is one light on the post out front that stays on all night. Not sure how much more light a "night vision" camera needs.

"Night vision" is misleading advertising jargon. All it's doing is taking a cheap camera that has poor low-light performance (and in this case, apparently, poor daylight performance), and compensating for it by adding a handful of IR LEDs to illuminate the subject... not unlike pointing an LED flashlight at the subject, except it's using light that's just on the fringe of human perception.

But don't expect too much from a camera that produces motion blur even during the daytime...

Bingo. If the camera's shutter is so slow that you get motion blur on a passing car even in the daylight, you'll never get clear pictures at night.

As example, this is the camera I have on my front porch: CNB VCM-24VF

These are shots taken last night of two vehicles driving up the street. The second truck is doing probably 30-35km/h (a$$hole); most of the light is from the streetlight directly overhead (you can see the pole at the bottom of the stairs).

187692_1.jpg

187692_2.jpg

Soundy>

Those BW pics look good and I seen other recommendations for that CNB 165.00 camera. What I dont understand is there are other cameras...

Other cameras that are 55 or 59 bucks on that page which seem to have similar specs. Aren't the specs similar? What makes the 165.00 camera better than the others? I would definitely buy a camera where I can see example pictures first, thanks.

Well, this camera seems to have fixed lenses. I guess that is why they are less money.

Qvis EYE-N35-FW-N Outdoor Eyeball Dome Security Camera 3.6mm 600 TVL 54.99

But these 2

Qvis EYE-E36-V2W-N Outdoor EYEballl Dome 2.8-11mm 650 TVL 99.99

Qvis EYE-N35-V2G-N Outdoor Eyeball Dome Security Camera 2.8-11mm 600 TVL 67.99

Seem similar in specs to this

CNB VCM-24VF Outdoor Dome Security Camera 2.8-10.5MM True Day/Night 600 TVL 165.00

They aren't nearly the same cameras at all. Just two quick diff's, CNB low light no IR's, TDN. The others have IR's and aren't TDN with IR cut- at least I didn't see it mentioned with a quick glance. Before you pick a camera, your positioning has to be corrected. You can't have a camera give you anything useful hung in that spot. Something else will have to be worked out for a clear line of sight, with no screen in the way.

OK. Not sure what that means but I appreciate you getting to the point. LOL.

I can move a camera outside under the eaves. Was trying to keep it on the down low.

In short, it means the CNB is a much better camera and the price of course reflects that. Consider moving the camera outside under the eaves and if possible since you're going through that well worth it trouble, try and frame the shot with the lamp out of the frame. A possible affordable solution in the eyeball dome camera variety is a gadspot GS4030SM. Good luck.

OK. Not sure what that means but I appreciate you getting to the point. LOL.

Okay, I had a whole big long thing typed out and somehow my browser ate it. Anyway...

Main thing is, the CNB has better low-light performance, due to two factors: one, it has a movable IR cut filter, which gives proper color rendition in the daytime and better light collection at night; and two, it has CNB's Monalisa processor, which among other things aids the low-light image. It doesn't have the IR LEDs because it doesn't really need them.

None of the other cameras list an actual minimum illumination level, even on the actual QVIS spec sheets - they state "0 lux (with IR on)" but don't actually tell you how well they do without it - that should be a clue right off the top.

So, it seems the CNB may be my best bet. Assume it can be flush mounted to a wall? Yes, I did download/look at the directions.

Any ideas on which DVR to get? Not too expensive. Was thinking 4 or 8 channel, can install my own hard drive if needed.

Thanks.

So, it seems the CNB may be my best bet. Assume it can be flush mounted to a wall? Yes, I did download/look at the directions.

Flush or surface mounted:

184833_2.jpg

184833_1.jpg