nDAlk90

What's your Favorite Hard Drive...

So now that Samsung hard drives have been bought out by Seagate I'm researching hard drives once again...

1. What brands do you ladies and gentleman prefer?

2. Any particular models for 1 or 2TB hard drives?

2. Any models to avoid?

Thanks.

We use only Seagate HDD's

Previously we used the SV35 Series, which was actually designed for Surveillance Systems but we had failures in environments where constant Read/Write was absolutely necessary.

Now we use the Pipeline HD Series which we really haven't had any issues with this far.

We use only Seagate HDD's

Previously we used the SV35 Series, which was actually designed for Surveillance Systems but we had failures in environments where constant Read/Write was absolutely necessary.

Now we use the Pipeline HD Series which we really haven't had any issues with this far.

Have you ever used the Seagate Barracuda? If so, curious what you thought. I was going to get one for a DVR, but the Pipeline HD you mentioned looks very interesting. Seagate spins a bit faster, but does that matter at all?

All 7200rpm SATA Seagate Constellation drives here (mostly ES.2). I have well over 300 of them in my environment, and the failure rate is rate is acceptable (RAID6 to get prevent data loss from any single or dual failure in each machine). 5 year warranties on enterprise drives from most manufacturers as well.

I've heard good things about the WDC re3 and re4 drives as well.

Have you ever used the Seagate Barracuda? If so, curious what you thought. I was going to get one for a DVR, but the Pipeline HD you mentioned looks very interesting. Seagate spins a bit faster, but does that matter at all?

In my personal builds, I like the Barracudas.

How many cameras are you looking to record? It really depends on how much you try to write to the disc. Based on the specs of the Pipeline drive, it looks like it is meant for TV DVRs, so it can likely take some serious read/write abuse, since modern TV DVRs are ALWAYS reading/writing so you can pause, rewind, etc. Might do just fine.

Also, looks like a 3 year warranty on them.

Edited by Guest

Yes, we currently have alot of the ST31000524AS in the field in smaller standalone DVR's, no issues.

Yes, we currently have alot of the ST31000524AS in the field in smaller standalone DVR's, no issues.

I have 5 of those exact drives in a RAID5 at home as my media server.

How many cameras are you looking to record? It really depends on how much you try to write to the disc. Based on the specs of the Pipeline drive, it looks like it is meant for TV DVRs, so it can likely take some serious read/write abuse, since modern TV DVRs are ALWAYS reading/writing so you can pause, rewind, etc. Might do just fine.

8 cameras to start (D1 @ 7FPS 24/7) maxing out to possibly 16 cams