Sign in to follow this  
paupar

Newbie question regarding prices and new system. Thanks!

Hi everyone. I currently have a Samsung 2220N system (not installed) and I'm not happy about the quality of the pictures so I decided I should pony up and purchased something better. I currently live in a 3 story townhome and would like to try to install it myself.

I would like to get about 4 cameras with better resolution. The samsung system states that the cameras have 600TVL but the night quality is horrendous.

I was thinking about looking into some IP systems as wiring an analogue system seems pretty hard, especially in certain areas in my townhome.

So here are some questions I have for you guys:

1. Assuming I purchase an IP system, can the cameras be powered via a router that has a bridge to the original internet modem? I was thinking I'd need to buy about 3 routers if I wanted to minimize running wires and cutting drywall.

2. Does my internet bandwith only come into play when I want the videos to be streamed? Shouldn't a wireless intranet have sufficient bandwith to send to the main DVR?

3. Instead of just purchasing an entire new system, can I somehow use my Samsung DVR to make a hybrid IP/Analogue system with better cameras or is that not feasible?

4. Would it be cheaper for me to buy the entire DVR and cameras on my own and then pay someone to install the cameras in the hard to reach areas or is it cheaper just to pay someone for both the install and system (wholesale prices for the professional)?

5. How much would it cost to install per camera through brick veneer? I live in Houston, TX. I'm assuming that I can set up the software/system myself and that I'll just need help running some Cat5 through walls.

I'm assuming I'll have to pony up at least $1500 for a decent set up with 4 cameras? I would like to get 720p quality minimum.

Thanks!

hi. if you can send your samsung back all the better. i dont knowwhy samsung keep making systems with stupic camera connections. i thought there rj plug was bad but yours is even worse on that system. .... it does not allow you to swap and change cameras .... you are stuck with the over priced samsung

going ip or hybrid is 100% a better system than samsung.

which is this hybrid. http://uk.surveillance.aver.com/product/embedded-hybrid-DVR-EH1004H-4-Nano