mattbatson

remote land with shed/garage

Okay, we bought 10 acres up in the mountains of western NC and currently have a large shed on the property.

The shed contains our quonset hut materials, which we will be assembling soon.

We plan to keep a tractor and lots of tools and gear on the land, but will be living in florida for the next few years at least.

Last visit I put up a game camera hidden in the bushes, and we had a couple of people come up to the shed, but didnt look they were up to no good....just maybe curious neighbors. But we arent going to take any chances.

I plan to have Dish TV or other satellite provider for the internet connection. There is no power there, but I am putting together a solar kit that will probably be around 200 to 300 watts 12V with a couple of golf cart batteries....but I will need to add up all the power demands first once we decide on all the equipment.

The biggest requirement is remote recording. I dont want someone to just be able to break in and steal the dvr and all the evidence.

The cameras will be mounted in plain view on the outside of the shed.

I want to be able to view my land remotely, and have good resolution so that faces can be ID'd if we have a break in.

I really have no idea on where to start, and was wondering what the experienced people on here would do in this situation?

I don't think you're going to find a remote recording solution over a residential satellite connection. Video is a bandwidth hog and satellite connections are notoriously slow and suffer from high latency.

With that being said. You could design an extremely secure bunker type setup for the dvr and maybe use wireless cameras so a would be thief couldn't simply follow the wires back to where the DVR is located. I would keep the distance for the wireless signal as short as possible. Also keep in mind anyone can scan frequencies and pickup your feed if it's not encrypted.

Another option is a decoy dvr in plain site so they grab it thinking they are good to go.

Just some thoughts.

I don't think you're going to find a remote recording solution over a residential satellite connection. Video is a bandwidth hog and satellite connections are notoriously slow and suffer from high latency.

With that being said. You could design an extremely secure bunker type setup for the dvr and maybe use wireless cameras so a would be thief couldn't simply follow the wires back to where the DVR is located. I would keep the distance for the wireless signal as short as possible. Also keep in mind anyone can scan frequencies and pickup your feed if it's not encrypted.

Another option is a decoy dvr in plain site so they grab it thinking they are good to go.

Just some thoughts.

I can get cable tv/internet out there. I can even get power...we just figured on being off grid, so figured we would just start out with the cctv system.

So it sounds like we will want to call Charter instead for internet and stay away from satellite.

Okay, I like the idea of a dummy dvr, wireless cameras, and then the real dvr hidden somewhere.

I guess we will plan on that method.

I'll have to think of a design for a strong box that is still hidden...cause if it looks like something is important in there, then the burglar will go after it.

Or, not worry about it being in plain sight inside the shed and just make it so beefy that it takes a really long time to get inside....

okay, lots to think about.

I've seen these cameras mentioned a few times.... CNB VCM-24VF dome

think they will give decent facial recognition?

thx for the ideas and info

I've got three of those on my house. Very nice cameras. It's the best bang for your buck analog in my opinion. Properly focused and placed should yield decent facial recognition shots.

Definitely go for DSL or cable over Satellite if you want an offsite recording solution.

If you go the dummy dvr route, you can probably get a 4ch for a hundred bucks or so. Don't forget dummy wiring too. Make em work to disconnect it so it makes them really think they have the brain.

You could go one step further and use wired cameras. Split the signal and send to the decoy and the real one. Hide the junctions in an enclosure up high though.

How is cell service at the location? I'd look at a VideoIq camera with a 3g/4g router. Set the parameters to email clips when intruders are detected, at least you'll have that if they do get to the camera.

How is cell service at the location? I'd look at a VideoIq camera with a 3g/4g router. Set the parameters to email clips when intruders are detected, at least you'll have that if they do get to the camera.

thx!

So, excuse the stupid question, but how does that work exactly?

What do I need for that set up?

I'll start looking at the videoIq camera's now....

oh, and if they get the camera that is okay so long as I have an email with their faces for the cops after.

it is a small town, so everyone should know everyone, lol

and to answer one of the questions...yes, cell service is pretty decent there actually.

I'm looking at the cradle website that was linked to...

We use Cradlepoint for one of our covert applications all the time. It is the low price model CTR35 and works well. Buy the router, and plug a 3G/4G modem from your desired cell carrier into the router. You'll need to network the router (may need to enable DNS). Of course, you'll need to pay for a data package from your cell carrier.

You won't be able to watch the system live all the time or you'll quickly eat up your data allotment...which is why I'd pair it with VideoIQ.