cgcmgr

12V Power Question

Hope someone can answer this. I'm not too familiar with electricity.

What would happen if this was done? Would it work or would my camera burn out?

I have a 12V PoE splitter outputting 27W and another PoE splitter outputting 24W. What would happen if I used a CCTV 12V y-cable like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5x2-1mm-1-Female-to-2-Male-Power-Splitter-Cable-12V-For-CCTV-Camera-/260885905974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbe030236 and split the power output on both splitters so that there are now 4 12V power dongles. Then I connected 2 of those dongles together by inverting another CCTV 12V y-cable so that I now have 3 12V power dongles. 1 from 1 PoE splitter, 1 from another PoE splitter and the third a combination of the 2 PoE splitters. What would happen if I connected that third 12V power dongle to my 12V camera or my 12V enclosure? Would it power up my equipment or would it burn out the equipment? I'm curious if it would be passing 12V or now 24V.

I ask this because I'd like to power my 12V 14.5W camera as well as my 12V 20W enclosure using one PoE Splitter. I'm using a PoE splitter that outputs 12V 27W. I don't know what I'm talking about here, but I figured that would be a total of 34.5W. I'd be shy 7.5W. I'm using another PoE splitter that outputs 12V 24W to power an IR illuminator which is 12V 15W. 24W-15W=9W. I was hoping to do that split mentioned above and use that spare 9W to help power the camera / enclosure that would be 7.5W shy.

Like I said, don't know much about electricity and I'm not sure if this would work or not.

Thanks,

Chris

In theory, it would work... the main thing you'd need to worry about burning out would be PoE injectors themselves. Plus, if one injector or splitter went offline, ALL the devices would probably go offline, as one injector would then be powering them all.

At some point, it just becomes more efficient, effective and reliable to simply run separate power lines to each device.

In theory, it would work... the main thing you'd need to worry about burning out would be PoE injectors themselves. Plus, if one injector or splitter went offline, ALL the devices would probably go offline, as one injector would then be powering them all.

At some point, it just becomes more efficient, effective and reliable to simply run separate power lines to each device.

Yeah you're right....that makes more sense. Why worry about things that could happen when another line would take those worries away.

Yeah you're right....that makes more sense. Why worry about things that could happen when another line would take those worries away.