Sign in to follow this  
MotorsportsX

Need to secure garage/perimeter

Hey! Im here looking for someone to point me in the right direction for a good cheap (within reason of course) CCTV setup. I cant say expense is no object but Ill spend what i have to. but no more than needed. my problem is that the garage im trying to monitor is detached from the house. I also have a garage attached to the house. so i need a camera on each, pointed at each other. i also need something for the back yard. My back yard is extremely dark at night. Ive already installed rope light in the decorative curbing around the garage, but ill probably try to light it up a litte more back there. motionlights or something. Anyways, i guess i need cameras that work decent in the dark to. I will also be putting two or three cameras in the garage. one downstairs and one up in the office. and then possible a second down stairs. also one in the house garage.. so thats what...minumum 5, maximum 8 cameras. fortunately, the only way to cut power to the garage would be to physically damage the meter, which is a new digital one, so i dont thing cutting the power is an issue. I would like to get the camera feed uploaded to the network. i have a home server, that also has a online backup for my work. I could probably find some way to hook a dvr into this, but it might just be simpler to upload to the net only. and of course, i need the good old monitoring station. id like to have this fed into the tvs in the house so no matter where i am i can flip over to video 5 and monitor the cameras. I had a cheap camera from lowes that beeped when it detected motion, something like that would be nice. then even if i was asleep i would know there is something moving in my garage.

im not sure if this is extravagant setup or just normal, but i work on motorcycles at home at night and work during the day so i usually have some high value items in there. I need to keep them safe. cellular Alarm system is next week, along with physical door locks. Any other suggestions

ok, ill let you guys tell me what i need! Thanks alot. sorry for the ridiculously long first post!

What is your definition of cheap? There are complete 8 channel systems direct from china for <$250, and they work, but you are getting what you pay for. Higher quality and dependability cost more, and can be thousands more. Most vendors have decent online descriptions of what everything is capable of. Most importantly have a good plan for exactly what you want to do, and it will help you shop.